Promise Me This.

Picture of Marlayna to the right! ===>

Happy Reading!

“Marlayna, I'm in love with you.”

I can't look him in the eye. I play with my hands, then with the hem of my shirt, then I chew on my nails. I finally get the nerves to speak. “River, how long have you felt this way?”

Years. Exactly four years, two months, and twelve days. Ever since I set eyes on you, Layna.” Then, something changed. I was still in the car, but the atmosphere changed. “I love you.” This was a different voice, one I knew but couldn't place. I couldn't look up, my head felt heavy on my neck. I couldn't find my voice, and realized I hadn't been able to for a while now. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, I was able to speak. “I love you too.” I didn't want to say that. Why did I have no control? Who was I saying this to anyway? I tilted my head up the slightest bit, and who I saw surprised me. “Layna, I love you. Say you love me back.”

Grayson. But, I thought you were River?”

You don't love me? You love River?”

No,” Was all I said. I had no control over anything. And suddenly it was River in front of me again. “Why don't you love me, Layna? Why can't you love me? Have you ever loved me, Marlayna?”

That's not what I meant!” I yelled. My hands made their way up my face, and I felt my moist, tear-stained face. When did I start crying?

“Layna.” A different voice? Who else could there be? “Marlayna.”

I was jerked out of my sleep by my dad. “Sweetheart, are you okay? You're crying. Everything alright?”

“Yeah dad. I'm fine,” I said, wiping away at my face.

That dream, or nightmare, has me so confused. I have yet to talk to River. I haven't told anyone about the incident yet seeing as how it's not their business.

“Would you like some tea or water?”

“Tea sounds great. Please and thank you.” I smiled up at my dad.

I was sat at the kitchen counter drinking the milk left over from my cereal when I heard a car honk. I got up, put my bowl in the sink, grabbed my bag and my house keys, and left. Grayson was still picking me up and although the rides were still awkward, they weren't silent. I got into the car, and Grayson pulled out.

“Goodmorning.”

“Morning.” All I saw was Grayson saying “I love you” from my dream this morning. I couldn't look at him; I would most likely break down. I don't know how I'll face River. I've been able to avoid him simply for the fact that he hasn't been around. I remember him saying he was going to be going with his mom on a trip. But he was only gone for two days, and today would be his returning day.

As we pulled up to the red bricked school, I said a quick thank you to Grayson. We hadn't spoken much today for the ride so I knew he knew something was wrong. I tried to make a quick dash for the schools hallway, away from the danger of Grayson when he called out my name. On instinct, I turned around. My eyes took in his gorgeous blue eyes, his sandy blond hair that went every which way, and his beautifully tanned skin. I couldn't help but just stand there and gaze at him.

“Marlayna, is everything okay?” he asked with concern.

“Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. I need to go,” I said before turning around and running through the doors where I faced my next problem.