The Arctic Warrior

"Hey... Get up already. I must leave soon."

"Thanks for staying with (Y/N). They suffer from a he-"

"Yeah, I don't care."

Your eyes open, but all is blurry. All you can make out are icy eyes. Blinking, it forms into the shape of a man. He seemed to be wearing icy blue armour, the color of his eyes. He had a harshly visible scar across his eye, which you tried not to stare at.

He looked so familiar, you didn't notice until it whispered from your mouth. "...Bi-han...?"

The instantaneous flash of remorse and remembrance told you enough. He was Bi-han. His eyes casted to the floor. "(Y/N)... It is you..."

"Bi-han?"

"I go by Sub Zero..." He blew a little bit of frost at you. You blinked several times before you noticed he was...different. He was surrounded by frost, and instead of the warmth from the hugs he used to give you, there was nothing but icy bitterness.

"Bi-han, what...what happened to you...? You're...different." Your thumb ran across his scar as he glanced away, somewhat annoyed. "Don't touch me."

You pulled away, eyes sad. "B-bi-han..."

"No. I'm Sub Zero now."

"S...Sub Zero." You didn't like the way it sounded. It made him sound like a heartless monster. "What happened to you?"

"Happened?" His voice became as cold as the air around you. The nurse piped up. "Uhmm... I should leave," she mumbled as she scurried away. "How am I different?" He sounded offended.

"You're colder...literally. And where did that scar come from? And why are you wearing this...this armour?"

"N-nothing happened." You crossed your arms and glared, and he groaned. "You always were stubborn, weren't you?" You continued your piercing stare as he told you his story.
"You remember Shang Tsung, do you not?"

Ugh. How could you forget? That bastard was to be killed by the Lin Kuei. He hoarded all the treasure, that damn Dragon of a man...
"I was sent to kill him. And I failed, and was killed by..."
"Killed?" Your eyes widened as you two made eye contact. "K...killed...?" He gave a small nod. "Yes. Killed. And my soul split into two separate people -- Noob Saibot and Sub Zero."

"B-b-but...!" You shook your head. This was too much! How can he be dead, and in two places at the same time!? "I-I don't unders-"

He cut you off, placing a chilling hand on your face. "(Y/N), calm down... It's alrig-"

"It's NOT ALRIGHT. " You angrily shook your head. How can he act like it was normal?
He caressed your face gently, his eyes narrowing into a sort of sympathetic stare. "(Y/N)..."

"Who was it, Bi-han?"

He blinked, and dropped his hands, staring downward. "...you wouldn't be surprised."

"Of course I would. Who would kill someone like..."

There was a long silence as he looked up. "Someone...like me?"

You gave a small nod, and he let out a long icy breath of frustration. "It was Hanzo. Hanzo Hasashi-"

"I KNEW IT!" You slammed your fist against the bedpost. "I fucking knew it...!" Your voice cracked as you broke down sobbing. He just stared as you wretched and cupped your face.
Several minutes passed, and he leaned near your face, pulling your hands away. "I'm fighting him in the tournament."

"You can't! What if- what if he-"

"(Y/N)." His voice was deep and calm. "I'll be alright."

You blinked back more tears as you nodded, more to yourself than him. "Al-alright...alright, Bi-han..." Before he could scold you about the name, you hugged him tightly. He was stiff, his muscles rippled under his armour. You felt a lump in your throat until a hand wrapped slowly around you. You gave a small, sad smile as his eyes squinted into a firm smile. "Don't be weak, (Y/N). I'm surprised you got into this tournament... Was it your stubbornness?"

You playfully punched his arm, smirking. "Shut up, Subway." You held a laugh back as his eyes widened, then glared. "H-hey! Don't call me that! I'd rather put up with Bi-han than that!"

You chortled, and slowly stood up. He gently stroke the gauze around your head, and helped you out the clinic.