Mutiny

The next few weeks at sea are uneventful. Ann and I never again talk about pasts, or rights and wrongs. Instead we go about our daily routines, and continue to spar on the deck occasionally. That isn't to say however, that we don't talk, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. I spend many nights by her side, listening to her talk through the dark and into the early morning hours, occasionally cracking a joke so that I would be able to hear the sweet bells that is her laughter. I find myself being drawn closer and closer to her, seeking her loving company. I also find myself talking more and more with young Amos. He truly is a brilliant kid, and one of the nicest souls I have ever met. He and I became good friends throughout the voyage, and I often take him onto the deck to show him the things I had learned. Pretty soon he is a competent deck hand, and to watch his face light up when he preforms a task brings me joy like I had never felt before. Amos becomes my shadow, a constant friend and companion. One day, I ask him why he follows me so closely, wondering if he subconsciously thinks I am his master or something.
"No no," he denies, "you not my master. You proof there is no master. I free man, I choose who I follow, and I choose to follow you."
His words show me just how much I meant to him, and moves me deeply. But at the same time, I fear that he counts on me too much, and am afraid that following me so closely would somehow get him hurt in the end. And I know if that happened, it would be on my hands.
But while I move closer to my two friends, I feel myself drifting away from the captain. There seems to be a gulf between my mentor and I, a rift that grows larger every day. He stops giving me lessons, and I never ask for them to be renewed. Ann starts delivering his food more and more, and when I do enter his quarters, it is in a stoney silence that seems to hurt us both equally. That's how the weeks drag on, until the day we return to the Moonlite Isle.
When we arrive, we are greeted with a wonderful sight. Tied up to the docks is a brig that I recognize easily, even though I had only seen it once, as the Seventh Star. I remember Fitzgerald, her happy captain, and I look forward to getting to know the man better. Next to her lies the Griffin, her repairs and refitting completely finished. Together, the two ships provide quite the sight. We tie up the Dauntless along side Seventh Star. By this time, it is late evening and we all go ashore. Ann and myself head up to the Poseidon's Dagger, followed by Amos, and the three of us laugh and joke the whole way. There is a party going on, celebrating the return of Dauntless, and the fact that Fitzgerald had decided to add his own ship to the little pirate fleet that has assembled in the quite bay. There are lots of drinks, horribly sung sea shanty's, and I couldn't have asked for a better night. Amos's reaction to rum is much the same as mine, and we all get a good laugh when it comes shooting back out his mouth. He smiles good naturally back at us, and doesn't take the prank to heart. It is about then that I see Rachel for the first time since arriving, and to my surprise, she is cuddled up in the arms of none other than the handsome Fitzgerald.
"I thought you said that there wasn't a man alive that could tame you?" I ask, walking over with my eyebrow arched in surprise.
"Hush, ye ain't got a clue what yer talking about," she fires back, "I ain't been tamed. I just happened to find meself a bit lonesome is all."
"And I was happy enough to provide her with some company," Fitzgerald says grinning. Laughing to myself, I leave the two alone and decide that it is time to call it a night.
I hope Little Tim still has my room open, I think to myself as I head to the bunk house. But before I can get there, I'm intercepted by a person who brings the whole happy night crashing down on my head.
"Will!" Jack yells, running around a corner, "there you are! Come on, we need to go!"
I'm so stunned by Jacks sudden appearance, that for a moment all I can do is stand and stare blankly at him.
"Come on Will," he says as he grabs my hand impatiently, and drags me through the ally's, "we are finally getting out of here!" I come to my senses and attempt to gain my bearings on the situation.
"What do you mean getting out?" I ask.
"I mean that we're leaving! Jonathan has gathered enough supplies to make a voyage, and we retook the Griffin tonight. We're escaping!" The gravity of the situation begins to take hold, and I can feel myself pale.
"Escaping? But what about Ann?" Probably not the first thing I should have asked, but it was the first that came to mind. Jack waves my comment aside.
"The girl is safe," he assures me, "Bill snagged her same time I got you, and we are all meeting at the Griffin." By this time we had exited the town and were running along the docks. Griffin looms ominously ahead, and its dark shadow fills me with fear. He pulls me all the way to the gang plank before I yank myself free of his grip.
"What are you doing?" He asks. I shake my head.
"Let's think this through," I say cautiously, "I mean, this is risky stuff Jack."
"We've thought it all through Will," he says exasperated, "we won't get another chance like this, we need to leave now!" Before I can say another word, our conversation is interrupted by a shrill scream, coming from a little ways down the dock. I look over my shoulder and see a burly crew member carrying Ann over his shoulder, and a second carrying some kind of sack.
"Dumb girl didn't want to go!" The sailor yells at us.
"She probably thought you were pirates come to carry her off to God knows where," Jack theories.
"No!" Ann yells, hitting and kicking the larger as much as her tied hands and feet would allow, "you're the crew of Griffin, you're trying to escape, and I do not want to go with you! Now LET ME DOWN THIS INSTANT!"
"She doesn't know what she's talking about," a new voice calls out from the ship. I vaguely recognize the figure as the merchant, Ann's uncle.
"She's too stupid to know what's good for her," he continues, "just bring her aboard and let's be off!"
"Ok," I say, quickly losing my grip on the situation, "let's all just calm down-"
"The time for being calm is over Will!" Jack shouts, "we need to act now!"
"So, it be mutiny then," Rachel Dare announces behind me at the other end of the dock. I turn around and see her standing there with Fitzgerald, both standing with their weapons drawn. Jack and the two crew members draw their swords in turn.
No no, I think to myself, feeling all the pressure of the world crash down on me, it's too much, too much, I can't handle it. Suddenly, through all the confusion, a single sound breaks through. A terrified whimper of fear. Looking for the source, my eyes fall on the sack the second crew man had dropped. The bag had fallen open, reveling a terrified boy, bound and gagged inside.
Amos, I realize in shock. Instantly I realize what had occurred. They had seen him, and figured he would make an easy buck in the Caroline's after they escaped.
"You must have learned something on that ship," Jack yells at me, "let's turn their own skills against them, kill them!"
"Who's side are ye on Will?" Rachel demands, inching closer with her Fitzgerald on her heels. I look at Ann, who cries out as a crewman roughly grabs her and turns towards the ship, and her uncle. I glance at little Amos, gaged like an animal ready to be butchered, looking back up at me with panic in his eyes. Through all the chaos, I feel a sudden bout of clarity, and I know what my decision is.
"No," I say simply, turning to Jack. He looks back at me in shock.
"What do you mean no?" He asks not understanding.
"I mean that I won't be going with you," I continue, "nor will I raise my sword against my friends who are at the end of this dock. I mean, under no uncertain terms, no Jack."
"They're pirates!" He yells, "cut throats! murderers! Scoundrels!"
"And good men!" I yell back, feeling more and more confident in my choice with ever second that passes.
I see a range of emotions converge over Jacks face. First shock, then anger, and finally rage.
"Fine then!" He shouts, his rage boiling over, "we will leave you to your fate! Enjoy the hangs man noose Will!" He gestures to the two sailors, who drag Amos and Ann up the gangplank, then walks up behind them. But he freezes when he hears the sound of steel sliding against hardened leather. He turns around, and funnels his rage into a single cold and deadly stare.
"They stay here with me," I tell him, my eyes leaving no doubt that I am prepared to use the sword pointed in his direction.
"You dare raise a blade at me?" He asks slowly, "the son of a British Commodore, over a girl and a negro slave?"
"They stay here with me," I repeat, taking deliberate and threatening steps towards him. Behind, Rachel and Fitzgerald have drawn even with me, matching step for step as I advance on the ship. Jack just stares, immobilized by the rage that has over took him.
"HAVE THEM THEN!" He roars, grabbing Ann by the hair and throwing her off the ship, then quickly doing the same for Amos.
"My father will have your head for this!" He screams as the Griffin pulls away, "if it's the last thing I do, I'll see you dead William!"
Watching them fall to the water, his words barley register as I drop my sword and dive in after Ann. Next to me, I hear Fitzgerald hit the water as well, and I can only hope he reaches Amos in time. I swim down, deeper and deeper, the cold sucking away my strength, until I find the girl I have grown to love. Struggling for breath, I drag her back up to the surface, and pull her to the beach, both of us choking out water. A little ways down, Fitzgerald pulls an equally weak Amos out of the water. Using a knife, I cut Ann's bonds, and she immediately pulls me into a deep kiss, both of us breathing life and relief into each other.
"Ahem," Rachel coughs, reminding us that we aren't alone. Sheepishly, Ann and I separate, and the five of us sit on the beach, watching the ship pull out of the bay.
"Dauntless can catch 'er," Rachel says casually, "if we head to the tavern now, we can raise the crew and stop 'er."
"No," I say, shaking my head, "most of the crew is probably drowning in rum at this point. And besides, it's not worth the effort." Rachel nods, and we all continue to stare after the ship until it disappears from view. Then Rachel and Fitzgerald leave, Rachel whispering something to him about fights making her frisky, and the two disappear down the ally. Amos is the next to leave, thanking me for saving him from the white men before going. After sitting in silence for a long while, Ann and myself walk back into the town, heading for the bunk house. When we arrive, Ann says casually that her room isn't available, and I graciously ask if she would like to stay the night with me.
"I think I would like that a lot," she says with her small little smile that makes my heart flutter. I fall asleep that night with my arms draped around her, knowing that for better or worse, I had made the right choice. I am a traitor to my country, a scoundrel, a cutthroat, and a pirate. But in becoming so, proved I am still a good man.

The next morning, I wake up feeling better than I had in weeks. I start to move, but stop when I hear a soft cooing like a dove. I look down as see Ann sleeping peacefully, and I smile, looking down on her beautiful form. Carful not to wake her, I slide out of the bed and slip downstairs.
"What's for breakfast today Tim?" I ask, yawning as I walk down the stairs into the main room. I freeze in my tracks when I see who's waiting for me, a hot plate of food sitting across from him and a cup of tea in his hand.
"It's nice to see you again Will," Captain Ben smiles, gesturing for me to sit down. I sit awkwardly across from him, unsure how to start the conversation after avoiding him for nearly a month. Thankfully I don't have to, but immediately wish that I had.
"So," Ben says with a mischievous smile, "Tim told me that Ann decided to sleep in your room."
"Well, uh, her room was taken," I defend lamely, feeling the blood rushing to my face, "and I assure you, nothing-"
"Haha, it's alright Will," Ben laughs, waving away my defense, "I'm not going to judge. Besides, Ann wasn't the only one who wasn't in their own bed." I remember what Rachel had told the handsome captain last night, then immediately wish I hadn't.
"But before she decided to, 'get some rest', Rachel told me what happened last night," Ben says, pausing before he continues. "I don't know if you made the right choice."
"What?" I ask shocked, sure that I had misheard him. He shakes his head sadly.
"This is a rough life," he explains, "a dangerous one. We can never truly be at ease, we are always on the run. We're criminals, and if we are ever caught, we'll be hanged, no questions asked. It would have been safer for you to just go with them." I sit back in my chair as I realize what was happening.
He's worried about me, I realize quietly.
"It would have been," I admit, then place my hand on his. He looks at me, and I notice a little water ringing his eyes.
"But it wouldn't have been the right choice," I tell him adamantly, "I belong here, with you, with Rachel, with Fitzgerald and Smitty. I belong here, where I can be free." I pause, and look out the window. It holds a clear view of the bay, where Dauntless rested happily in the harbor.
"When I first held the wheel of Dauntless," I tell him, "I felt a freedom that I never even knew existed. A freedom that only you could have shown me. And how could I turn my back on that?"
Suddenly, I find myself wrapped in a warm hug, and am so surprised at first I just freeze. But then I return it, glad the rift that had grown between us is finally repaired.
"Alright then," Ben says after a moment, pulling away, "the Dauntless sails in two days. I expect you to be there to assist in the preparation of making way."
"Aye aye Cap'n," I say with a grin, giving a mock salute. Ben returns the grin, and goes to leave.
"Oh, by the way, I asked Tim this morning about Ann's room. Funny, there wasn't a soul in there the entire night," he says with a wink, then walks out the door leaving me in a horrible blush.