Dont turn on the lights

Don't turn on the lights

Commandeering down the stairs of the basement, I realized I would have to stay up very late if I wanted to be ready for exams tomorrow. My new dorm mate, Alyssa was sleeping heavily on the bottom bunk. I had asked her earlier if she wanted to come and study with me, but she declined saying she already memorized everything and was ready for tomorrow but that she needed a good nights rest. School just came so easy too her, she was even valedictorian at her high school and a straight A student even now.

Pulling my book bag closer to my side, I ascend down the last flight of stairs, and pulling the bulb illuminating the once dark room. The array of round tables were all empty  of occupants except for the one I was on. There was a eerie dangerous feeling lingering in the air that made me feel tense and jittery, it almost felt like I was being watched, But that couldn't be it right? I didn't feel another presence in the room, it was something else, maybe even more dangerous but I just shook it off, blaming it on the my fear of being alone.

I grabbed my geometric book first since I needed help with that the most. I read over it carefully folding and refolding my lined paper that I used for my work and gave myself tips and random questions, I went on like that for awhile then moved onto my next college examination prep book. one hour went by....then two...which soon turned to three then five. I was studying past essay questions and answering them in my head when I realized I left one of my books upstairs and I needed to get it. I walked up the stairs slowly, the floor creaking beneath my feet as my body descend on the top step I walked to my dorm the brightness from the hallway nearly blinding me as I was whisked from a dim light to a bright illuminating light.

I used my key to unlock the door and creaked it open a little bit, but wide enough to fit through. Shutting it quickly, I hadn't wanted to wake up Alyssa while she was asleep and the light surely would. My nose twitched as a strange metallic smell filled my nostrils. Frowning, chills broke out all over my arms a sense of dread crept in and I had no idea why.

There was a strange feeling malice in the room, as if a malevolent gaze was fixed upon her. She could hear Jenna breathing on the far side of the room—a heavy sound, almost as if she had been running. Alyssa must have picked up a cold during the last tense week before finals. But it was strange, Alyssa wasn't even the least bit worried about our finals. One might say she was even cocky about it but even if she was cocky about it she had reason to be. So why would she get sick from being nervous?

All well.

I put my hands in front of me roaming around aimlessly, trying to find my bed without waking Alyssa up. Ow, I muttered as I bumped the side of my bed and rubbed my knee. Sighing I reached blindly on the bed searching for my book, when I stopped abruptly the sense of dread was back and worse than ever I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickle and I swear I heard another persons breath other then Alyssa whenever the breathing was gone and I breathed outwards wow didn't know I was holding my breath.

Though I didn't hear anything else in the room I still was in a hurry to get out just in case. Searching some more I finally found my book. I ran out of their as soon as I could. Not caring if I woke up Alyssa I just didn't want that feeling to return. I worked for another three hours or so before sleepiness started slapping me in the head with a hammer and sent images of my warm and inviting bed.

Putting all my books away I read the time on my phone 6:00 dang! Yea I better clock out. Making my way up the fight of stairs once again I just prayed that I wouldn't have to feel those weird sensations again. Reaching the door I walked in and yawned the morning light now pouring through the covers onto the bunk beds and shining right on Alyssa!

MY mouth opened prepared to scream but nothing came out tears poured out through my eyes my sleepy daze now forgotten and I felt my stomach climb out my throat an ugly bile rising in my throat.

I walked over to her to get a closer look, and the scream that wouldn't come out finally did a shrill terror filled on laced with a broken heart.

I kept on screaming till my voice gave out and by then people from the dorms nearby came running in. I vaguely heard the girlie screams and the gasp of shock at the before them I was standing in front of the bed, next to a dead body who looked unrecognizable.

Connie, one of my friends from the dorms across from mine, grabbed my shoulder and stared open-mouthed and white-sheeted at the wall opposite from where I was at and written in Alyssa's blood was the words...

           “Aren’t you glad you didn’t turn on the light?”

And with that I promptly fell unconscious.