Chapter Six In Which Ron Makes A Fool of Himself

About a week after the Lockhart lesson, I learned to hate Malfoy even more. Here's what happened.

Hermione and I were in the Great Hall, getting breakfast when Ron comes in, and grabs some toast.

"What are you in a hurry for?" I asked. 

"It's the first Quidditch practice of the season, and I want to see what's going on."

I turned to Hermione. "You wanna go?"

Hermione shrugged. "Sure." She grabbed some marmalade while I got a couple unbuttered and un-syruped pancakes to eat on the way to the Quidditch field. On the way there, Ron and I talked about what Wood would do this year, and if we would win the Cup. 

We got into the stands, but no one was there. "Oh, I should have brought Professor Sinstra's essay, I could have worked on it."

"Maybe you should have," I said.

We waited there for about half of an hour before the Gryffindor Quidditch team came onto the field.

"Aren't you finished yet?" Ron yelled at Harry.

He shook his head. "Haven't even started."

The Quidditch team kicked off of the ground, and soared into the air. I heard a clicking noise, and turned to see that annoying first year, Colin Creevy, snapping pictures. Wood said something, and then I heard George say, "And the Slytherin's don't need a spy, Oliver."

Everyone looked down to see seven green-robed people strutting onto the field. 

"I don't believe it," Wood hissed. "We'll see about this."

Wood, the Weasley twins and Harry landed on the ground, and walked up to the Slytherin team. "Flint!" Wood bellowed. "This is our practice time! We got up specially! You can clear off now!"

Flit walked up to Wood. "Plenty room for all of us, Wood," he said. 

The three Chasers had also landed and walked over to where the rest of their team stood. 

"But I booked it!" Wood yelled in rage. He was very close to shaking. "I booked it!"

"Ah," Flint said, smiling and taking a note out of his pocket. "But I've got a specially signed note from Professor Snape. 'I, Severus Snape, five the Slytherin team permission to practice today on the Quidditch field owing to train their new Seeker.' "

"You've got a new Seeker? Where?"

As soon as I saw the small, white-haired figure emerge from the six other burly Slytherins, I started to make my way onto the field.

"That's Draco Malfoy," Ron hissed. "What is he doing here?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Hermione said. "Malfoy is their new Seeker."

"Well, I know that," Ron said, "but why?"

The three of us missed the next part of the friendly argument . But what I did hear, well... It wasn't very nice. 

"Oh, look, a field invasion," Flint said as soon as he saw Ron, Hermione and myself crossing the field. On the way, Ron had decided to play dumb (which wasn't hard for him, I'm sure) and asked Harry: 

"What's happening? Why aren't you playing? And what's he  doing here?"

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker, Weasley," Malfoy said smugly. "Everyone's just been admiring the brooms my father's bought the team."

Ron and I gaped at the seven broomsticks. Newest model. Only came out last month.

"Good, aren't they?" said Malfoy, smiling. "But perhaps the Gryffindor team will be able to raise some gold and get new brooms, too. You could rattle off those Cleansweep Fives; I expect a museum would bid for them."