Chapter One

My long white hair drifted halfway down my back. The fierce current whipped against my face, turning my cheeks a light red. I held an empty leash in my hands as I swam towards the thick layer of sea kelp. "Brently!" I called out, "Come boy!" I wipe a strand of silvery hair out of my face as I feel a nudge against my back. I whip around, knife in hand, to see it was only Brently, my shark. "Brently... I told you that isn't funny." I scold him as he tries to hide a toothy grin.

We reach our shabby from front door and I push it open. The mud walls welcome us with a familiar smell of old seaweed. Brently zooms past me into the kitchen. "I know, I'm hungry too." I slump into the kitchen. "Are jellies okay today?" I ask as I pull a jar from the shelf. Brently gives me a growl as I dump some into his bowl. "Oh hush up." I say in an annoyed tone. It must have been hateful because Brently hid his face to eat his food.

I pull out another plate and start to put the rest of the jellies onto it when I hear voices outside. Brently starts a growl and I push a finger to my lips. Slowly, I creep out the back door. Around the decayed corner there are three mermen. They whisper, but loud enough for me to hear pieces of the conversation. "Tuesday....ceremony....assassination....Prince..."

I barely held in my gasp as I whipped back into the house. They are going to kill the Prince...