The Playlist Project

It all started with a project for English III. A perfectly unperfect day that would change my life forever. We had just finished reading a short story about being cautious of what you post on the Internet when Mrs. Jeanine spoke up.

"Ok. Now that you've read the story, your assignment is to get into groups of four or five and in the group, create your own presentation about watching what you post online; whether it be Facebook or Twitter or whatever other websites y'all use. They should be about two and a half to three minutes long and will be presented next Wednesday. That gives you this hour today, tomorrow, all weekend and then Monday and Tuesday to work on it."

She went on to say that it could be a skit, a song, a speech or anything that would get the point across of being safe on the Internet. When she was done, everybody went into the groups they'd mentally chosen. I waited until Jake and his group beckoned me over.

"Ms. James," he said eyeing my Tobuscus zip up hoodie. I laughed out loud. Jake has been at my school for about a year and a half and in that time we'd practically become inseparable which is why I found it amusing when he called me Ms. James.

It seems that our group was the nerd herd. All of my, single, loserly, gamer friends. I love it. There's Nate, the Call of Duty player; Alan, the Minecraftian (but we call him Steve); Jake, the Master Assassin/Resident of Skyrim; and Mikey, the everythinger. I'm the vlogger. I play video games occasionally but I'm terrible at them. All of us were faithful to the Audience and Bro Army as well as Jack's Biches. Outcasts 'til the end.

"So...what the hell are we doing?" I asked looking from face to face. "Ideas around. Jake go."

"We could make a gameplay and trollers in the comments..."

We all shot that idea down in unison.

"Steve?"

"Laginamite!"

We all laughed and I said, "Ooookay...any body have any good ideas?"

"Take off your clothes like Scarlett Johansson," sang Alan.

Jake started rapping Sean's part which gave me an idea.

"Hey guys...what if we sang that? I mean it makes sense!"

"I like it!" said Nate. "We could divide up the parts and do it like they did in the video."

"Sounds perfect!"

"I want the part about "Getcha phone we gon' take some pictures"," said Nate.

"Yea, I'll do Jack's part!" volunteered Alan.

"I'll take Sean's part," said Jake holding up his hand.

"And I've got Tay's part," said Mikey.

"So that means Kam Kam's got Toby," said Nate looking at me.

"Lucky me," I said smiling.

*****************************************

Friday afternoon, the five of us went to the mall. Mikey, Steve, and Nate went to the game store while Jake hung back with me to shoe shop.

"Guess what I found," sing-songed Jake holding out a box.

"No shit? You found some?" I asked walking over to him. He handed me the box and inside were a pair of black heelys with camouflage laces. I laughed. "Perfect!"

We decided that if I was going to be portraying Toby Turner that I might as well go all out.

"I haven't heelied since I was like 12," I said trying them on and popping the wheels in and standing up. I was unsteady at first and had to hold on to Jake but the more I rolled around the better I got.

"That's awesome," said Jake laughing as I struck a pose.

I payed for the shoes and we walked (I heelied) until we found the other guys sitting on a bench waiting for us. They all had their own bags and soft pretzels from the food court.

We eventually left, goodies in hand, and practiced our hearts out for Wednesday.

****************************************

When Wednesday finally rolled around, we were the last group to go. Due to the limited space in the classroom, we couldn't be super elaborate so we kept it sweet and simple....almost. Alan was wearing a button up shirt (unbuttoned halfway) and shades and for the most part the guys were casual. I, on the other hand, was wearing cargo shorts, my red Tobuscus t shirt and heelies. So basically I looked like a twelve year old boy.

I was standing in the open storage closet door a few feet away so that I could heely in when Toby's part came on.

"Why you messin' 'round?" sang Mikey.

I counted to three and right on time Alan and Jake stage whispered "Tobuscus!"

I rolled in and rapped Toby's part and when I finished, I heelied back to the other side of the classroom earning me a laugh from everyone in the room.

We finished and got a standing ovation and an A+ despite the song being about sexting.

I heelied back to my desk and Mrs. Jeanine gave me my phone back from where she had been recording the performance.

When I got home that afternoon I posted it to my YouTube page. Little did I know, that one video would change my life in ways I'd never thought could happen.