Tales of the Hood Excerpt Three: The Beginning of Resolution

The day came when we were all dressed in black, waiting for the hearse to pull up outside. It was a grim Friday but Vanessa dropped Shakira to nursery then came back to get ready. I spoke to my agent and he had landed me that job in America. We were leaving tomorrow; the sooner the better. This place had too many memories, which I would gladly forget in a better environment. But today wasn’t the time to be thinking about tomorrow, it was the time to remember Cameron and the good he brought to our lives.

When we arrived at the church there were loads of people paying their respects, most of them who had heard him play and appreciated his talent like I did. There were young, old, big and small. It was remarkable to see the impact he had had on people in the short space of time he became known. We all sat down and the service began.

“We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of our brother Cameron Daniels. He was a boy that not long ago lost his family in a tragedy and is now lost in his own. Dedicated to music and life he will be dearly missed. Now, here are a few words from a friend, Jordan,” the priest said clearly.

“Hey everyone. My name’s Jordan and I was Cameron’s close friend. Cameron was a good guy. In fact he was a great guy. We had many good times together that I will cherish for the rest of my life. When he lost his mum and dad he was in a really bad place before Jayden became his legal guardian. It wasn’t his time to go. He was at a peak of his life where he was happy but it was brutally taken by the very same people that paid to listen to his music. His death should make us realise that it is time to make a change. Stop all this gang violence for the better. Stop fighting over colours because it’s pointless. Innocent people are the ones that have to pay. I loved him like he was my brother and I will continue to love him throughout my life. Things shouldn’t have to be this way. If they weren’t then maybe he would be here today. Thank you for listening,” he said giving a truly moving speech.

“Thank you very much, Jordan, for that touching speech of yours. Cameron’s guardian Jayden would now like to say a few words,” the priest introduced.

“As you all know me and Cameron were close. I’m not here today as an artist in the music industry. I’m here today as a grieving man. It was only a year and a half ago that I saved Cameron from a fire on the night of my wedding where he lost both his mother and father. Since then he had been living with me and my wife, and I encouraged him to get into something he liked to take his mind off the pain. Little did I know that same something would lead us here today. That boy was a brother to me ever since that night. We had a profound bond that can never be explained nor broken. I’m going to miss him. Don’t worry Cameron, I’ll see you when I get there,” I said with a final salute. Tears burned my eyes but I contained myself. I still didn’t want to believe he was gone so soon. I went back to my seat and lay on Vanessa’s shoulder.

“You were good up there Jay. Things will soon sort out for us,” she said adoringly.

We sang few hymns and played his favourite song then we carried his body out to be buried. After the ceremony I didn’t see any point of celebrating because there was nothing to be proud of and nothing to be happy about. Even though I knew it’s what he would have wanted I wasn’t up for the party.

“Vanessa I’m going to go pick up Shakira and drop her off here, then I’m going home to pack our things,” I said, thinking about our departure in less than twenty-four hours.

“Why so soon? You should be enjoying this time the most. Not because He’s gone but because this is what he would have wanted. Celebrate his life,” she spoke as she straightened my tie.

“It’s not like that for me babe. It’s really not. I’ll call you when I’m on my way back,” I replied, kissing her cheek. I got in the car and drove around for a while. I needed to think properly about what my next step would be; how my lifestyle was going to change dramatically after tonight. I was glad to be leaving for America tomorrow but at the same time there was so much I was leaving behind. I remembered Maurice’s suicide letter. It was that which motivated me to be where I am now; to take music seriously to avoid ending up where he was. I cleared my head thoroughly then drove to the nursery. I marched up to the desk feeling happy to see my little girl.

 “I’m here to pick up Shakira from the nursery department,” I said to the receptionist. The lady flicked through the register and looked up at me oddly.

“Sir, Shakira was picked up almost an hour ago,” she said. I stared at her blankly.

“That can’t be right. Her mother and I have been at a funeral all day so she has to be here,” I replied, certain that she had made an error.

 “Well I’m sorry sir but you must be mistaken. Shakira left here with a man just a bit taller than you with black sun glasses on” she said confidently.

“How could you let her go with a stranger!” I shouted, starting to panic.

“Sir could you calm down whilst we try to resolve the matter. I’m really sorry for the mistake” she replied, fearful of my reaction.

“No! You shouldn’t have let the mistake happen in the first place. What kind of nursery is this? Allowing people to come and take kids without any identification.”

“He provided Shakira’s full name and a valid address. Mr Daley we will do everything we can to rectify our mistake if you could take a seat” she replied seemingly terrified.

 I walked out of the nursery fuming and called Vanessa immediately. “Vanessa, I don’t want you to make a scene but I just came to pick up Shakira and she’s not here” I said as my chest tightened.

 “What do you mean she’s not there? So where is she?”

 “The receptionist gave me a description of a man that picked her up and it breaks my heart to say I think it’s Jamal. I can’t believe they would allow him to take her.”

 “What do you mean you think! We have to call the police Jayden. I’m coming home now so be there in five” she said strictly. She hung up leaving me worried. I couldn’t go through this again. If he had my daughter, things just went up a level.