Elemental Book One: Fire

A/N: I uploaded this from my iPod, so please tell me if something looks wrong. Hope you enjoy the story!

Prologue

Katinina looked down at the room full of slaves, all rushing to complete their work without getting whipped. Their supervisors stood nearby, whips ready. She noticed that one of the slaves was slowing down. She smiled, knowing all too well what was about to happen.

Crack! The whip smacked into the back of his knees. He fell down in pain. "Aagh!"

"Up, you worthless pile of crap!" His overseer demanded. The slave tried to get up, but wasn't fast enough.

Crack! The whip came down on his already raw back. He fell back down, bumping his head on the cold cement floor. "Aaaah!" he cried, blood and tears trickling down his face.

"I said, get up!" Crack!

"I can't take it any more!" the young slave cried. Crack!

He noticed Katinina watching and looked up at her. "Curse you, princess, and all that come after! May the fires of Nether consume your soul in eternal flame!"

Katinina smirked. "Take him to the dungeon," she ordered the guards. "I shall see how he likes the flames he so desperately cursed me with."

"No, please princess!" the poor slave begged. "I take it back! Please let me be!"

"No," Katinina denied him mercy. "You shall be punished according to your crime, as ordered by the Laws of Nether."

The young slave cried as the guards carried him away. Tomorrow he would have a scar over his mouth proclaiming his crime. That is, if there is any mouth left. He would soon know what happens when you curse the princess. And so would all the others.

Katinina looked around at the meager slaves doing backbreaking labor. The room smelled of sweat and feces. No one dared to even grunt in her presence. She loved this feeling; the feeling of power over the multitude of creatures.

And in a few years, all of this would be hers.