It all started with "Good-bye"

"Here Jean. Marco told me to give you this. It was his last request." Mrs. Bodt handed me a sealed letter in front of Marco's newly dug grave. We had all just attended his funeral. I took the letter slowly, tears dripping down my face.

"Thank you, Mrs. Bodt. And, I'm sorry." She looked at me and shook her head.

"Don't apologize, my dear." She pulled me close and held me tight. "Just tell me what my son wrote in that letter of his. He was always up to no good, I want to make sure there's nothing bad there!" We both laughed.

"Of course I'll tell you." I wiped my eyes. "Do you mind if I stay behind and read it now, with him?"

"Knock yourself out." She patted my shoulder and turned away. I then walked next to his gravestone, and sat there.

"Well Marco, let's see what you've written for me, huh?" I peeled open the letter carefully. It was quite long, but I wouldn't have expected anything less from my best friend.

Third person P.O.V
Dear Jean,
Now, if you're reading this, that means I'm dead.
I know, I'm sad too. But you need to get over that. Everyone dies at some point, and it was just my time.
I do hope you'll forgive me. I left without so much as a goodbye. No 'I'll miss you.' Or 'Maybe in another life.' And I'm so, so sorry for that. I really am.
But, on to other things.
Now, my signed football is yours to keep, only because it's yours and it's signed by you-

At this, Jean laughed, for he knew what Marco was talking about. This year, they had won a football game, and Jean signed a football, which Marco then stole. "Where did you even keep that thing?" He hiccuped.

And listen, I'm sorry for not telling you I was sicker than you thought I was. I didn't want to ruin your happiness too. You probably saw how broken my mom was. Imagine seeing two people I love as hurt as that.

"People he loved?"

Also, don't prank Eren too much. He's only a little boy, and I'm not there to hold you back.
Actually, I'm not there to hold Mikasa back. She'd whoop your ass. We all know that.
On the subject of Mikasa, I know the way you look at her, and your eyes are full of love.
I just wish you would've seen how I looked at you like that.

Jean gasped a little. What could Marco possibly mean by this?

Honestly Jean, you are probably one of the stupidest people for not realizing I was so fucking in love with you.
I would see you every day and my heart would start beating rapidly, as if saying "There he is! That's the one!"
It hurt Jean. It hurt a lot.
And I understand, you probably saw Mikasa as a girl you loved, but the way you were describing how you felt, that wasn't love. You were just desperate for her affection.
And don't hate me for saying this, but loves Eren.
She loves Eren. You know how many times her and I would talk and talk about you and him?
We would talk hours on end. Mikasa talking about her "Hot tempered hottie." And me, talking about "My horse."
(That's what everyone calls you)

Jean knew this, people would call him horse face. The only person he was okay with saying that, was Marco.

Jean, no matter how many times I've said this, you've never heard me.
I love you, you horse face. I always have.
Always will.

Jean recalled all the times he'd thought he heard Marco say anything relatively close to "I love you."

~The Homecoming dance, right after they won the game. Marco had come to Jean and asked for a dance. Flustered as he was, Jean said yes, and they shared a dance.