Chapter 1: Last Supper with the In-laws

Lady Nyx:

Please help me!

I am 15 years old and my mother has never seen me before. There, I said it! OMG you have no idea how hard it was to actually get the guts to write to you, I’ve been a huge fan of your blog since like forever, and I swore I would write you whenever I had something important to say. This is it, right? I mean, my mother doesn’t know of my existence yet (sort of a complicated story) and now, well… I kind of have a chance to contact her!! The thing is… I am not really sure if I should do it, ‘cause I don’t want to, you know, step right in the middle of her perfect life and just ruin it… So, I was wondering if maybe you could use your super psychic powers and find out if she would actually like to meet me. I know you must get like a gazillion emails a day of people asking you all sorts of stuff, but this is really important to me.

Pretty Please?

xoxo

AliKai

Dominique found the email somehow endearing, being an adopted child herself, and, slowly reflecting on it, she also found it to be honest enough to be worth taking a second look into this girl’s case.

She had been running her psychic blog for over two years now, and her alter ego, Lady Nyx, had become a web celebrity of sorts. And, like Alikai had stated in her email, her inbox was continuously overflowing with people who either wanted her help or just called her a fraud. She even had a couple of antagonist zealots that amused themselves by calling her a witch and condemning her to hell every now and then. However, Dominique’s powers were very real, and she wouldn’t conceive the idea of why any god, who had given her those powers to begin with, would oppose to her using them to help people like Alikai, who only wanted to know if her mother would be happy to meet her.

Zealots were not capable of understanding her reasoning, and neither were her future in-laws: ultra-conservative people who certainly wouldn’t approve of their son marrying an online psychic. And for them she was plain old Dominique, the choir teacher of a local elementary.

Singing had always been one of her passions, and she had always been pretty good at it, anyone who had ever listened to her said she had a great deal of talent. Nevertheless, Dominique was afraid of the stage, a crippling phobia for any musician, as she painfully learned early on her education. She simply could not bear the thought of people watching her, as she stood vulnerable and feeble with only her voice to shield her. That was a horrendous thought. The only time she had ever tried, while still in school, she had been so terrified by the audience that even her voice had left her.  She had been only 16 and that could have been the worst moment of her life, standing there alone and mute under the prying eyes of parents and teachers. Dominique felt about to collapse, her whole body became numb and paralyzed, and she felt completely stiff, as if all of her was made of glass and a simple touch would break her into pieces. The whole world went black and she thought she was going to drop dead on the spot. Something much stranger happened, however. A crystal clear image came to her head, so strong she could almost smell the gasoline and so pure she could hear the lighter hit the ground and feel the heat of the flames as they rose from the carpeted floor and onto the bookshelves. Her eyes widened, like two bright blue pools as she screamed: “Fire in the library! Arson! Arson!” just a few seconds before one of the school janitors rushed into the auditorium crying out the exact same thing.

When she regained her consciousness, she was already on the infirmary and her adoptive mother was holding her hand, as the sirens of the fire trucks and the police could be heard outside. The next few days she spent answering questions, how did she knew it had not been an accident? Did she know who did it? Was she, in any way, involved with the incident? All she could tell was that she had a vision, and no one could prove otherwise. Eventually the police left her alone and her parents, who had been the kindest people Dominique ever knew, decided it would be for the best for her to finish her high school somewhere else.