Meet Kira

I took a spoonful of cereal and emptied into my mouth, staring blankly as mom interrogated someone on the phone.After much chatter she placed the phone down, wiped her palms on her apron and walked towards me with a smile.
'Whats going on?' I asked her, a little worried. 'Oh..that was just an old friend of mine, Marlene,' mom said to me, pulling out a chair to sit. I nodded slightly. 'She has a daughter who's your age ...and she's going on a business trip and wants me to let her daughter stay here for a while,' mom explained.
I kept my expression neutral...'what did you say?' I inquired . 'Well Marlene has done so much for me ..I felt indebted to her...I said yes,' mom replied.
I searched her face for humor or sarcasm but none existed. I never had anyone over apart from my cousin Rosa ...but she was four years old. I had no siblings which sucked ...sometimes.
'I don't know her daughter,' I whined. 'Well you'll meet a new friend Shay,' mom smirked.
I inhaled deeply to let out my frustration and annoyance at mom. What if the girl was rude and obnoxious or loud...or irritating! What if she cussed and jeered at the elderly.What if she had no mercy for the weak and vulnerable.
'She's coming later today,' mom stated and I nearly gagged on my surprise. 'Today?....were you the last resort or something?' I asked mom. 'thats irrelevant ...point is I agreed and you have to get things in order and make Kira feel welcomed,' mom sternly replied.
I went to my room...without finishing the dumb bowl of cereal.
I buried my face in my pillow and tears kept streaming down my cheeks. With dad and mom divorced...life was just a mess, that mom tried to clean up with my success. But education was not ever supposed to go before happiness.