Outlet

Planning is good

Planning is good. It helps me to clear out my mind. It's a way to simplify all the jumbled thoughts in my brain so that I understand what I'm actually seeking to do in life. 

A journal where I write about these thoughts and plans is my outlet. I need to do this regularly because everything I see, hear, think, and feel every moment of my life is the intake.

I keep hearing that meditation is so great. I can't really find a reason not to try it.

But I can't meditate.

First of all, I don't think I'm doing it right when I try it. Although I'm aware that meditation is not all about trying to put a pause on my brain, but I can never go into the zone where I'm not really thinking about anything. 

Second of all, I just don't like to do it. It's not something I want to do. I only feel I need to because it's supposed to be good for my mental and physical health. It's a struggle for me to keep my mind silent.

However, I did realize one thing during one of my meditation attempts that has helped me to be more focused.

I had too many things to think about every second of my life that I had forgotten to let go of my thoughts. I was constantly training myself not be forgetful so that I'm always on top of my things.

This is how I made sure I was in control of my life. 

The side effect of doing this is that it becomes almost impossible to focus on one thing at a time. In order to keep up with all the to-do's I've created for myself, I needed to be an extraordinary multitasker. 

So I did. 

In return, I forgot to let go of my thoughts. Or be okay with letting my thoughts go. I was afraid these thoughts might never come back to me if I stop thinking about them.

Recently, I've started to practice being okay with letting my thoughts flow. Let them come and go. What if some thoughts never come back? The important ones will naturally come back to me. Besides, aren't all these productivity apps I have installed on my phone supposed to help me remember things?

I'll jot down some notes and tasks every day. But I won't try to record every single thought in my head and make an action plan out of them.

Ideas are good. It makes me feel alive and free. But I don't want to drown in them and feel lost in my own thoughts. 

Having a creative outlet to pour out my thoughts to is very important to keep my mind healthy and focused. I've become much more productive by not being a multitasker. I've learned that real multi-tasking is not engaging in multiple tasks simultaneously, but being able to shift my focus from one task to another quickly. I can still accomplish many things in a day by focusing on one thing at a time. This actually helps me to get the task done much faster and more efficiently, allowing me to move on to the next task on my list.

I write about my thoughts and goals as an outlet to free up my mind and it has made me more productive and healthy.

What's your outlet?