Chapter One

Emily held the small mahogany box in her palm, tracing her slender fingers along the grooves that ran along each face. Taking a deep breath, she slowly opened the lid. At the top of the pile of objects, was a black and white photograph of a young woman. She wore a wide smile and her dark curly hair neatly framed her face. She had a younger version of Emily held gently in her arms and a man Emily recognised as her father had his arm around the woman's waist. 'This is my mother.' She thought, and she felt a warm tear rolling down her cheek.

A knock at the door startled Emily. Her hair quickly fell as a curtain around her face, hiding her tear trails from view. Covering the box with the corner of a quilt, she said,

"Come in." and was pleased when her voice showed no sign of sorrow.

Emily's father took a couple of steps into her bedroom. He ran one hand through his silver-grey hair and a sigh escaped his pale lips. Over the past few years since Emily's mother had died, King Lucifer had not aged well. His previously dark chestnut hair had paled to grey and frown lines were now permanently etched in his forehead.

"You are needed in the main hall, the Council has an issue that needs to be discussed." Emily suppressed a groan. She had been called to the Council many times before, and knew it was not something to look forward to it. Her face must have portrayed her annoyance as her father quickly continued.

"I know you don't enjoy the meetings, but today's subject is vital for discussion. I expect you in the main hall in ten minutes." King Luciens stern voice was not something to argue with.

Emily watched as her father left the room. Closing the heavy door behind him, she retrieved the box from under the quilt, and returned it to the drawer in her bedside table.

Emily walked down the painting-lined corridors and stopped in front of the main hall's doors. They towered above her, tall and regal, like everything else in the castle. A memory suddenly engulfed Emily as she stood.

She was five years old, young and as innocent as she would ever be again. Her mother stood beside her wearing a long gown that flowed gently along her slim figure. They stood in front of the same, tall doors; although less worn with age. Emily watched as her mother aimlessly ran her hand over the carvings on one door, apparently deep in thought.

"Mother?" Emily began quietly, "will I ever be allowed to go in there?" And she gestured towards the main hall.

"Of course sweet pea. But it's not something to look forward to, believe me." Her mother replied sadly and, as much as Emily questioned why, she would say no more.

A servant Emily recognised as Billy tapped her shoulder and she was quickly brought to the present.

"The Council is awaiting you M'lady." He said and easily pushed one of the doors open enough for Emily to slip through. She could have sworn she heard him whisper "good luck." as she took a step into the room. The room itself was not as impressive as Emily remembered. The wooden walls had dulled with time, now a bland grey which seemed to suck all colour out of the room. The huge round table set in the middle of the room was hard to miss, and Emily felt her face burn up as she realised that the people sat at it were staring intently at her. She quickly regained composure and held her head high as her mother had taught her many years ago.

"Ah Princess, so kind of you to bless us with your presence." Aubrey Heathburn drawled.

"I knew you could not do without me, uncle." And Emily flashed him her biggest smile.

She sat down at the only empty seat, placed between Aubrey and his son, Loki. Emily and Loki had been friends since birth, and were often mistaken for siblings when travelling between kingdoms.

Emily cleared her throat. "I do hope there is a reason for bringing me here, I'll have you know theres a long list of things I'd rather be doing right now." The treasurer, a small rat-faced man by the name of Rowland Green, shifted uncomfortably in his seat as she spoke. After a few moments, he opened his small mouth and spoke, showing off his tarnished yellow teeth as he did so.

"Princess Emily Strathmore, it has come to our attention that our kingdom will soon need a new leader. Someone confident and youthful." Emily froze at these words, he head barely able to comprehend what she could hear. She watched as each word passed through Rowlands lips, almost in slow motion. "You are the only option. You will be the next queen."