I.

I was traveling too. After battling about, I finally came to rest in that strangest of all places; NYC. I moved into a boardinghouse where for $49.50 a week, I got my own private cell, and three squares a day. The meals were good, and from the dining room I could peek into a tiny garden, which was watched over by a mute statue of Pan. In summer, we girls would go up onto the rooftop. There we would oil up and lay; broiling in the hot sun.
Fancying myself an actress, I enrolled in drama school. I don't remember much about the school, except that it was run by a famous acting teacher, who wore masses of yellow curls, and the reddest of red lipsticks. She taught all of her classes while perched atop a throne made of cardboard. In speech class we students were given long bits to memorize and recite, all while holding a cork between our teeth. The whole business seemed rather silly to me, so rather than stay, I quit. Anybody could act, I figured. It was just like lying. Everyone lies.
And so, armed with Backstage, miniskirt, and high heels, I began to audition. Looking back on it, I was an indifferent actress, and an improbable singer, but I must have looked pretty good in that miniskirt, because in very short order, I began booking gigs. I played Marian-the-Librarian in "Music Man," Laurey in "Oklahoma", and the title role in "Gypsy." And my considerable talents were not confined to the musical stage. No siree. I played the Drama as well. I was brilliant as Laura in "The Glass Menagerie." If I do say so myself.
But all too soon, I tired of the game. Acting was a racket, like everything else. It was too real. And I didn't want realism( go Blanche) I wanted magic. I began to dream of my brother. He was magic. At first I didn't realize that the dreams weren't dreams at all~they were visitations. My brother was haunting me. I saw him everywhere. Well. Bits-and-pieces-of Him. On the street, a look, a glance. A tilt of the head. A mean smile. He was with me. Teaching me. Alway's.
I fell in love with the Dark Arts suddenly and quite completely. My brother beckoned, and I followed. Magic became my life. It was so easy, really. I was a natural. I moved to the city at 10. And yet. Everybody believed I was a cool 21. Magic. Pure and simple.
And so it begins...