Chapter 1

(Husna P.O.V)

"AHHHHHHHHHH"

I screamed, feeling a snowball hit my cheek, the coldness burning my skin. I didn't even take the time to shape it into a ball; I quickly threw a chunk of fresh snow towards the direction I was hit from. My older sister Hana started running round in circles, "Hah! Ya missed".

That's weird. Her voice was a squeaky little voice that could only come from a child.

Our bodies. We're tiny. We're little kids again. We were having the time of our lives. "Husna you've got to try harder than -"

"Miss?"

The image of playing in the snow started to fade. Why was everything dark now?

An old Ed Sheeran song started playing in my right ear.

"This is the start of something beautiful

This is the start of something new

You are the one who'd make me lose it all

You are the start of something new"

"Miss Adam?"

My eyes shot open to a stewardess giving me one of those fake smiles they always have plastered on their faces. I watched her a little longer, wondering if she was ever going to burst, smiling so wide like that.

Beautiful lyrics continued playing from the earpiece in my right ear. I must have fallen asleep listening to music.

"Miss Adam we've landed for about 8 minutes now. Most of the other passengers have left" She beamed.

"Oh. Um alright, sorry." I rubbed the sleepiness from my eyes "I mean thanks."

I quickly grabbed my things. I had prepared for the long flight 6 months in advance. I knew every one of those travel hacks you see on the internet by heart. It became an obsession at one point.

I wasted no time getting off the plane and breathed in the view. Goodbye Malaysia, hello Pennsylvania, USA. After 10 years I'm finally back. Though it's not Boston, it's still America and I'm looking forward to start a new life here.

It then came to me that the dream just now was almost an exact memory. Winter was always my favorite season as a kid. I was probably too excited to be here that my mind started chaotically rummaging through my memory storage and turned it into a dream.

When I get the chance, my first road trip I'll take here will be up to my old town. I heard that the small Malaysian community there has gotten even smaller.

However, I still had my friends from elementary school. Hopefully they were still the nice and decent people I remember.

Walking through the airport, I thought of all the happy crying that happened before the dreadful 14 hour flight. My parents had sent me as far as they possibly could through the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. They bought a useless $50 ticket each just to see me board the plane.

Apparently they were really proud of me. I mean it's not like I wasn't proud of myself because, heck, I worked my ass off to get here but I just didn't see the need to be so caught up in it. I'm not that intelligent, I probably got the scholarship by luck. And the scholarship was my choice. My parents can afford to send me anywhere I pleased but I told them I wanted to work for it.

I reached the cabs and asked for one to the campus but most of the cab drivers just looked at me up and down with disgust clear on their faces. I could tell the recent rise in international terrorist attacks have people on alert.