Chapter 2: The Unknown

Cherry's POV

I pulled the blanket that was draped over me closer to me, suddenly freezing. A breeze swept into the room and I could hear the curtains slapping against each other as the wind tangled itself through them. I ignored it and pulled the blanket even closer to me, shivering against the sudden temperature drop in the room. I opened my eyes to unfamilar surroundings, then I remembered that Aleks and Eddie brought me to their apartment.

A soft scratching sound came from the end of the bed on the bedpost. I could feel my heart beating in my throat as I sat up slowly, keeping the blanket wrapped firmly around me. Fear was creeping into the corners of my mind and heart as the scratching became louder and more persistent. Slowly and carefully I started crawling to the end of the bed. As if by instinct, my hand went to my thigh where a knife sheath would usually be located. Of course, there was nothing there except my leg.

As I neared the edge of the bed, a sudden feeling of dread overcame me, mixing in with the fear. The sound became louder and louder the closer I got, until I was sure everyone in the house could hear it. My heart rate had sharply increased in the past few minutes, and my palms were sweating. I finally reached the end of the bed. A strong breeze swept through the room making the curtains dance and a few papers on a desk to fly off onto the floor. It was like everything in the room was telling me to go back to bed.

I turned my head briefly to look out the open window. The moon was high in the sky, but it was partly covered by storm clouds. The scratching stopped, forcing me to snap my head in that direction confusedly. Slowly, I leaned over the edge with eyes closed at first, scared of what sight awaited me. My breath caught in my throat as I opened my eyes. Nothing. There was nothing there. Relief rushed through my body. My shoulders untensed and I slumped back, running a hand through my hair and laughing at myself for being so afraid. It was probably all in my head.

Letting out a sigh, I turned around and started to crawl back into my orginal sleeping position. As I turned my head, I was met by Aleks, but something was off about him. His eyes were swimming with menace and his grin was crooked. Briefly, his eyes flashed red. I screamed and threw the blanket at him. As he tried to untangle himself from the blanket, I jumped off the bed and ran to the door only to find it locked. Banging on it with one fist and trying to force it open with the other, I screamed for help. I risked a look over my shoulder to the bed to find Aleks gone.

I began backing away from the door towards the bed when a hand tightly gripped my forearm. A blood curdling scream escaped my lips as my eyes met Aleks' evil red ones. He calmy placed his free hand over my mouth and softly shushed me. My breathing became slow along with my heart beat, then everything went black.

Aleks POV

Somehow I managed to fall asleep after Cherry did. Eddie spent the night at Natalie's since I sort of gave his room away. I don't think he really cares though, he's always looking for an excuse to spend more time with her and more time away from me. Whatever, I understand... I wouldn't want to spend time with me either.

I was laying in bed when I heard Cherry scream at the top of her lungs, making the whole apartment shake. Scared shitless, I jumped out of bed and ran down the hall to Eddie's room at full speed. I crashed into the door and desperately tried to get it open but it was stuck. Beating on it and begging her to let me in, I finally got it open.

Cherry was huddled in the corner by the bed with a blanket wrapped around her body. She was shaking terribly and looked like she'd just seen Death himself. Cautiously, I went over to her, trying my hardest not to frighten her any further. I got down on my knees so I was at the same level with her. She refused to look at me.