Chapter 1 The Changing

I woke up Monday and went to my window. I drew the curtains and looked at my fingers which were morphing into claws.

"I guess I'm staying home today." I said to myself my mom came in and said

"It's time to get ready."

"Mom I don't feel good I think I'm sick." I said weakly then fake threw up in a trash can beside my bed.

"Not this again! You are going to school today. I am not buying that again. Get up and I will see you downstairs in five minutes. If I don't you know what will happen." Mom threatened me. She came over to the side of my bed and slapped me across the face and then left, slamming the door behind her. I started freaking out. I can't go to school on sunny days and especially not today. Today is the day my pack says I should change and I can't do that at school. I call my friends Kassandra and Xylie.

"Major Problem!" I yelled into the phone once they picked up.

"What?! What's wrong?!" Xylie asked

"Mom is making me go to school today. What do I do?"

"You can't go today. It's your full transformation day." Kassandra said

"I know that. What do I do. I can't go outside without my claws coming out."

"I know. Once your mom drops you off at school, wait for her to leave and then come meet me and Kassandra at the pack house. We will figure out what to do then."

"Okay. I hope you're right." I said nervously. I hung up and got dressed in my baggy clothes to hide my scars. I went into the bathroom and did my hair. Since I started half morphing, when everything gets hairier and your hands and feet morph into claws, my hair has had turquoise streaks. My mom got really mad when she saw it and got it bleached, but nothing happened. After a while she gave up. The turquoise is a nice contrast to my otherwise jet black hair. I looked at my long scar that crossed my left eye. I sighed and covered it up with my hair. I ran downstairs knowing that I had taken more than five minutes.

"Sorry I'm late. Had to call Kassandra and Xylie." I apologized

"I don't care. I told you to be down in five minutes and you weren't. You know what happens when you don't do as I say. Plus, since you tried to lie to me about being sick, it will be tripled." I looked down. I waited a few minutes until she was done eating and then we got in the car. She drove me to school. I got out of the car and headed towards the building. Once her car was out of sight I ran into the woods that lined the right side of the building. I ran until I saw the familiar clearing that held the pack house. I climbed the tree and walked inside. Me, Kassandra, and Xylie named it the pack house because we thought of ourselves as a pack even though there were only three of us and Xylie's mother and father. I was the alpha. Xylie's parents were going to adopt me as soon as I first shifted, like they did Kassandra a month ago. I will shift for the first time today, but they won't adopt me for another day.

We took a month and built a treehouse that has enough stuff that someone could live in it. It had no ladder so you had to climb the tree to get to it so most people didn't try. I sat down in a bean bag chair in the main room. I started crying silently after about a minute. The other girls walked in soon that and tried to comfort me. I stopped after a minute and we started our meeting.

"Okay. Today we are going to show you your cage." Xylie's mother, Alice, said. All of us get cages so we don't hurt anyone when we shift."

"Okay. Where are the cages?" I asked

"Follow me." Alice said. We walked into a room I had never noticed before. I looked around and I saw five cages, each with a different color collar attached to the top of the cage and names on the doors, and a dog bed. I walked down the aisle and saw mine. It had a turquoise collar attached. I turned around and looked at the others. Kassandra had a dark purple collar, Xylie had an orange one, and Xylie's parents had a black and white one. I turned around and they were looking at me.