Chapter Seven: The Journey Begins

Ren's POV

The morning of my  departure felt the same as any other, only this time I felt a sense of hopelessness that slowly tore me apart from the inside. Aina packed my traveling bags as I acquired more appropriate attire for the long day of riding ahead. Soon after everything was packed, Uncle Hideaki and his wife and infant daughter walked into my room.

" I feel saddened knowing that such a beautiful flower will be carried off into a land so far away so soon." She said teary eyed.

" As does mine, our blood shouldn't be so far from each other but alas, there is other choice."

No choice.

Ever since I was a little girl, I was raised to believed there was always another way, another option, if things are tough but it seems this time is different. This time, my heart is the sacrifice from witch my Uncle's Kingdom will live on.

" When you leave here, your guard will escort you for the whole day journey west to the port villages. From there you will take the voyage west to your new kingdom." He says.

" I promise we will arrive at the palace soon after you." My Aunt rambled further." I'm sure youre going to look more beautiful than all the other queens of Japan and all the world in your dress.

I, by all means didn't know what to feel. My elder cousin and  uncle's heir to the throne, Jin, was off to the southern islands putting down several rebellions fueled by taxes placed by the emperor to finance his war efforts against the shogun Akira and his army to the north, and the reason of which I am to be wed to this far away, yet powerful King.

Jin had been a great friend to me ever since we were but children, and when he left to war, I was saddened when the flap of his banners disappeared under the blazing sun. That was a month ago, and now I myself will ride off to war.

Later, I found myself in the castle courtyard walking to my horse, a pretty white mare, and there stood beside it was my mysterious guardian, sullen and cold.
He bowed lightly before me and my uncle.

" Your grace." He said in my direction, out stretching his gloved hand.

I nodded in return as he helped me atop my horse and I turned to see my uncle standing beside him.

" I trust that you will guide her to her destination safely lord Mizushima, but I must emphasize that her maidenhood remain intact." Uncle Hideaki stated firmly.

My protector smiled slyly in such a manner that put both myself and my uncle in an uneasy feeling.

" I assure you, the princess will go unmolested as the day she was born before her husband." He said in a laid back tone

" That is, until he has his way with his wife in any manner he chooses."

Uncle Hideaki grimaced slightly but shook it off and held my hand, gazing up at me.

" There are no words that can explain my love for you my dear niece, as you have been like a daughter to me ever since my sister died on that fateful day, but I thank the gods for our time together, however short it may have been." He said, emotionally." You're my blood, and it pains me to see you go.

" I love you, as well uncle, and I wish for the day we see each other again." I responded. " And when I beat you again in cards."

Uncle Hideaki laughed heartily and stepped back." Indeed, my little flower. Indeed."

After the goodbyes were said, I rode off, watching again as another member of my family was swept away by the horizon. The road ahead was rocky and full of hardships, but after about an hour of silence, a silence I rather wouldn't have liked, I mustered up the courage to speak.