Saying Goodbye

Saying Goodbye

                The sound of the everyday business as usual in the hospital faded into the background as everyone in the room concentrated on the sounds of the machines in the room.  The incessant beeping and the whooshing sound of the oxygen.  Now there were minutes between breaths and then just when they all thought it was over, the form in the bed would take another painful breath that shook the entire body.

          Susan stood in the back of the room, her eyes swollen from unshed tears and days without sleep.  This day was what they had anticipated and dreaded for the last three months.  Now that it was here, Susan couldn’t help her guilty feeling of relief that it was almost over.  The pain, suffering, torturous nights would all be over.

          Then suddenly, it happened.  The heart monitor gave a long endless hum.  In a panic, Susan started to rush for the bed, but someone held her back.  A flood of nurses rushed past and closed in around the bed.  The machines were turned off, rendering the room to silence.  The oxygen mask was removed from the pale round face.  The eyes were gently pressed shut and the nurses left the room, respectfully to give the family some time with the body.

          The soft crying of Susan’s sister filled the room.  Susan was unable to comfort the younger woman.   Brian, the oldest of the siblings put his arms around the slender shoulders, tears streaming from his own eyes.

          Susan’s father couldn’t seem to let go of the lifeless hand he was holding.  He just stared with a vacant expression on his face.

          Susan placed her hand on his shoulder and gently whispered in his ear.  “It’ll be okay, Daddy.  I love you.”

          “We have to go now.”  The soft, loving voice of her mother pulled her away.

          “How?  How do I let them go?” Susan asked, looking at her family in despair; her loved ones grieving over her lifeless body.  Their pain was too much to bear.

          “You never let them go.  You hold them in your heart forever, safe in the knowledge that they are in the Lord’s loving arms.”  

          Mother and daughter disappeared into the shimmering light.

                                                                                       ~Augustine