Chapter 1: The fire.

Kaitlynn sat by the kitchen table, her eyes full of life watching her parents argue over a small pieces of crumbs. Unaware of his surroundings, the father accidentally turned the fire lit stove on.
  "Mommy, daddy turned the stove on!" She giggled watching her parents start to laugh.
         "Oh silly me! Kaitlynn my dear, can you get your brothers?" The father said happily. As she started to get up, a small spark of flames started on the stove. The parents quickly looked at the flame and shrugged it off, unaware that there was a wooden spoon by the flame then paper around it as well.
         As the flame started to grow strangely large, the parents started to panic. Jake, Zion, and Prince stood in a corner crying due to the flames.
         "Kids...! Get out of here!!" The mother cried out to the children as the three boys ran out of the kitchen, not grabbing their younger sister who is still frozen in fear.
         A few moments later, the furious flames started to engulf the entire kitchen making the parents cover their daughter so she won't get burned.
         Her parents started to suddenly scream in pain, the flames had finally reached their backs burning their clothes to ashes. Kaitlynn, at the young age of six, watched in horror as her parents were slowly burning to their death.
         She then started to scream bloody murder, as the flames finally reached her left arm, scorching it so bad the bone started to show slightly.
         Zion and the other two males continued to run, leaving the cabin on fire ignoring their sister's screams for help.
         "Brother...!! We have to go get her!" Jake screamed, causing Zion to slap his cheek roughly,
         "She's going to die anyways, just keep running! The guards are going to arrive!" He said sternly, making sure the younger makes run ahead of himself.
                                           ~~~Three hours later~~~
         As the flames slowly died down to just small flames, Kaitlynn laid there lifelessly. Her entire back burned to where you can almost see the bones, and her left arm now showing the bones from her burn earlier.
         Moments later, the guards finally showed up to the burned down cabin the king and queen following them. The cabin was destroyed, her parents now just a pile of bones, and Kaitlynn... She laid there, her clothes on her entire body burned to ashes.
         They stared at her amazed, telling the guards to take her back to the castle carefully. The guards slowly wrapped her in a soft cloth hearing a small groan escape her pale lips.
         The queen winced hearing the groan and held her carefully in her own arms walking to the castle the guards following her.
         "My queen... This was the Griever family... Her name is Kaitlynn." The guard said softly, the king walking next to the queen.
         "Kaitlynn Griever... Such a awful surname... Don't you think so darling?" She turned her head to the King.
         "It is... Kaitlynn... She won't be able to move for a while so, she'll live with us until she heals." He said sternly, a faint smirk showing on his lips. Oh how he is going to love having a daughter with Kaitlynn's looks, and maybe... She'll be the perfect slave for him.
         "What's that smirk for?" The queen asks softly, watching the younger girl cry in her sleep due to the pain.
         "Oh nothing my love."
         "Don't lie to me... You are planning something for her... Aren't you?" She asks again sternly.
         "Now my dear, Rex will be guarding her. And I'll be too busy to take care of the young girl." He says calmly, opening the castle door for his wife.
         "You promise?"
         "I promise my love." She sighs and nods at his response and walks in seeing Rex. He looks up from what he was doing and frowns seeing the bundle in her arms.
         "My lady... What happened?" He asks calmly, the queen now holding the bundle out to him. She smiles sadly as his eyes widened staring at the burned girl.
         "The Grievers daughter? What happened to her...?" He asks quickly taking the bundle carefully, the queen says nothing and leaves the room the king following her.
         "What...? What happened to her?!" He calls out, his voice shaking as a guard starts to explain why she's in the state she is in right now.
         "I... I'll go patch her up then. No one will be able hurt her... Not while I'm here." Rex says sternly walking off to the infirmary to patch the burns and wounds up. His eyes occasionally looking down at the limp girl in his arms, but he simply frowns as he arrives to the infirmary, his hand covered in blood from the younger girl's wounds from the fire that look as if they're getting infected.
    "Knight, why is this town's girl inside a castle's medical room?" The doctor asked,
    "It's the Queen and King's orders sir. Best to do what they say, or you'll get your head chopped off."
    "They still chop off others head?"
    "Yes, now hurry up and treat the wounds or the Queen will be very upset."
    The doctor nodded and slowly started to bandage up her arm first after cleaning out the burn. But when he got to the burns on her back he hesitated before starting to clean out the one on her lower back carefully.
    "How in the world did she get these wounds?! Nevertheless how is she still alive after these burns?" he exclaimed as Rex looked at the girl in wonder.
    "Who knows how she didn't die? But all I know is that the Queen has taken an interest in her already."
    "I'm surprised for this miracle. . . But I don't think the King will want to keep this young girl as his only daughter." Both males looked at the poor girl now, but a small whimper escaped her lips; showing that she was finally starting to wake up from the aftershock of the house fire. That her now, dead parents, caused not to long ago. The doctor quickly pulled out a shot from a tray he had in case she did wake up, but it surprised him that she would wake up from the fire even though it was only an hour ago that it happened. Rex looked at her sadly again, stroking her hair softly so that she wouldn't feel the pain, but only feel his hand against her head as she slowly passed out from the shot the he is now stabbing into the side of her throat that was visible through her hair.
    "It really is a shame though with her condition... Because you don't know what her life will be like afterwards."
    "Her life? Probably full of pain Doc," Rex paused. "But who knows? I hear that her family doesn't show much emotion." Both of the men sighed as they heard the young girl start to snore. As the doctor started to put away his equipment, Rex merely turned to leave since he didn't want to bother the Doctor anymore.
    "Take her to the Queen's' bedroom, she has a spare room for the... Burned girl to rest." The doctor said before leaving the infirmary. Only leaving Rex and Kaitlynn in the room. "Well... I guess I'll be careful then huh?" Rex muttered to himself as he carefully picked the young girl up.