Dollhouse

Ruby looked up, seeing the hammock of the tree's branches covering the blue autumn sky. She grabbed her bookbag, and scavenged through it. She found her lunchbox that she packed earlier. She unzipped the purple lunchbox adorned with flowers. Inside she found a Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, positioned neatly next to a juicebox and a king sized chocolate bar. The combined smells brought a smile to her face and she pulled them out. She took the napkin out of the bottom of the lunchbox, and placed it gently on her lap. She took the sandwich out of the small plastic bag she placed it in, and took a small bite out of the corner. She smiled, and placed the bread to Button's mouth. Ruby smiled, and kissed Button's forehead. Ruby grabbed the juice box and gently stuck the straw through the hole. She took small sips, and continued to eat her sandwich. She looked at Buttons, and placed the straw to his mouth. "Buttons...do you think mommy and daddy will get along sometime...?" She asked him, as she let out a depressed sigh. There was no response. Just the rustling of the leaves and the chirping of the birds. Ruby finished off the sandwich a few minutes later. She placed the remaining parts of crust in the baggy from which the sandwich came from. She pulled out the chocolate bar, and finished the juice box.

Ruby stood up, and placed the lunchbox that contained the remnants of her lunch in her bookbag. She zipped the bookbag shut, and grabbed Buttons. She noticed she had a small amount of dirt on the back of her dress and brushed it off with her hand. She walked out of the woods, from the direction in which she came. Ruby sighed and realized she would have to go home. "Come on Buttons...It's time to go home..." Ruby said, holding Buttons tightly in her left hand. She walked along the sidewalk, listening to the bypassing traffic and avoiding the occasional person.

After 30 minutes of Ruby's long trek, she stood in the driveway of her seemingly ordinary house. She walked up the driveway and reached the front porch. Rocking chairs were positioned at an angle, and had a table sitting between them. She realized how her mom and dad never used them, hence the large amounts of dust on them. She grasped the doorknob firmly in her right hand and opened it. She stepped inside, and was greeted by the aroma of her mother's new peppermint candles. She probably used them to cover up the smell of perfume, marijuana, and alcohol. The TV was blaring her mom's usual cheesy soap operas. She walked further into the living room and shut the door behind her. Ruby looked at the couch, only to find her mom passed out, a flask gripped in her hand. She approached her, and could smell the alcohol on her breath. She shook her mom urgently. "Mom, please wake up." Ruby said, but to no avail did her mom wake up. She soon gave up, and decided to head to her room. She passed her brother's room and smelt the strong scent of marijuana. Her nostrils felt as if they had been set on fire, and her nose soon started running. As she walked past her father's room, she heard an unfamiliar voice. She ignored it, and felt her eyes start to sting. Tears rolled down her cheeks, pouring like a waterfall. Ruby dashed into her room, and slammed her door shut. She pushed her back up against her door, and cried. Ruby looked at her dollhouse, and slowly walked towards it. She sat down, and began playing with her dolls.

Ruby soon heard her brother's door open. Footsteps approached her door, and then he started knocking. "Ruby..? Please open up..." He muttered. Ruby headed to the door, and hesitantly opened it. Edwin smelt of drugs, and made Ruby want to heave. Edwin stepped into the room,  and started chuckling. He looked down at Ruby, and she noticed he had dark bags under his eyes. "Edwin..?" She said. He started chuckling louder, and louder. "EDWIN! STOP!" She'd yell. Edwin ceased his chuckling, and looked down at Ruby. "What are you going to do, cry? Crybaby! Crybaby! Crybaby!" He taunted her. She pushed Edwin out of her room, and locked the door. "Crybaby...Crybaby...That seems more suiting..." Ruby said, as she chuckled.

Ruby pulled out her diary, and started writing.

"Dear Diary,

Everyone thinks that we're perfect.

My brother is high,

My dad's unfaithful,

My mom's an alcoholic,

Well...

Thanks for listening, no one ever listens.

Sincerely,

Crybaby."