Just a dream

Kirstie POV

I kiss him one last time and watch as he drives off into the night. I walk back inside and pray that nothing happens to my husband.

3 months later

I hear a knock on my door and open it. Standing out side I find an army officer. "Mrs. Kaplan?" "Yes?" I ask worried. He hands me a letter. I open it and inside I find a note.

'Dear Mrs. Kaplan,

We hate to inform you that your husband Avriel Kaplan was killed in line of duty.
We are sorry for you loss.'

I break down in the door way. "I'm so sorry. Please know I was your husbands commanding officer and he would talk about how much he loved you all the time." I sniffle and look up at him. "These were his." He hands over Avi's dogtags. I take them and the officer walks off.

A week later

I put my black veil on and leave for the cemetery. When I pull up everyone is sitting down listening to the pastor. I walk down the isle imagining it as our wedding when I was 18. I get to the end and stand before his casket. I place a single red rose on top. I sink to my knees and burst into sobs. My friends Mitch and Scott pull me into a hug and help me back up. By now the pastor is done talking and they are folding the flag up. I walk behind the casket and take the flag when they hand it to me. Through the whole thing all I can think is this is just a dream.

After the funeral I walk towards my car when I am stopped by someone. "Kirstie?" "Yes." I say while turning around. "My names Kevin. I was on the same squad as Avi. He told me if something happened that I should give this to you." He hands me a simple silver wedding band. "Thank you." I pull him into a hug then get into my car. I drive off and take one last put look at where my husband lays.