Prologue

Sophomore year in college is meant to be a happy thing, but mine was bittersweet. I flipped through the pages of the somewhat torn photo album from my freshman year. I smiled at the memories that stood still on the pages. The pictures were frozen, but the memories flooded through my mind like a stream.

     Pulling out the box of photo albums from underneath my bed, I noticed a small black leather photo book titled, "Sophomore Year." My instincts told me to open it, to see him again. My heart, however, wouldn't stand for it and my fingers were trembling. Reluctantly, I continued to look at the photographs in the well-bound book.

      My smile was different back then. It seemed a bit altered, a bit influenced. In every single picture, he took up space. On his face was plastered a deep, breathtaking smile. When I got to the month of December’s portion of that album, my eyes started to well up with tears. Fuck, it had been years. Almost a decade and he still managed to corrupt my thoughts.  I wiped away the salty liquid pouring from my eyes and tucked away the photo album. Maybe today would finally be the day.

        Until recently, I always loved Christmas time. The crunchy snow you’d step in on the sidewalk of the streets, the string lights flickering above your head on the trees, the children’s smiles when they received the toys they had dreamed of. Everything about Christmas was beautiful, and that was an undeniable fact. Back then, at least; before it happened.

        Now, I sit alone on Christmas Eve in my two-bedroom apartment near Amsterdam. I boil myself a cup of tea, and I get lost inside a world of fictional characters in my pool of blankets. Life was much easier when you didn’t have to face reality, and that was exactly what I planned on doing. At least, until he decided it was time to come back home to me.

{A/N: I'm aware the prologue isn't exactly the greatest, but please give this story a chance. I plan on doing a lot with it as long as readers are with me.}