4

So that, "Fendly and the merrily one" was Edward's favourite story in the whole world. From his four to eight years his father narrated, night after night, this same story which he felt on his own bones, as living it. He told his teacher in second grade to read it for class, fully nervous when he asked, but when that wonderful woman did, his arms shivered in enjoyment. When he were playing with other kids, used to being his father's other son, Stan, with three more years (more continuously when Edward was eight) he asked every time the others to play "Fendly and the merrily one". But they were fed up on that considered "stupid infant's game".

Stan showed him some porn magazines, and Edward felt more than a little confused on those women showing every last bit of their bodies in a way he did not understood, along a bit of a lounge for his mother more present, that he did not felt before in a long time. Edward thought Stan was obsessed with naked women, he himself watched those firm curves fully focused, felt as an impurity that attracted him highly. But after five minutes, he was starting to feel guilty for watching these for a reason, perhaps hiding it from his father, and proudly returned to his beloved state of dreaming, to become the "merrily one".

Until that gloomy day, the seventh of May.

Because the birthday of one of the kids in the neighbourhood coincided with Edward's, both parents decided to do a double-party and a single cake, when truth was the economical situation was bad at the time not to say fucking messed up, but I won't distract on little things. It took Edward one brief look to realize the backyard of the other kid's house had a five feet tall barbed-wire-fence overlooking a forest. It really shocked him and even when they brought the cake he was dreamy, his mind in other business; his father called for his attention, and the kid remembered what was occurring and where he were. He felt immediately the reaction of the kid, his skinny son was unconsciously rubbing his hands, made him wonder what could possibly be so important for him to be absent-minded in that special moment. He could not give it a second thought, not knowing what was going trough his little head. After the singing and the candle-blowing, every kid was offered a slice of cake and were sent to the backyard, where a chatty couple of adults briefly cared for them. There was good food, real nice folk and the sun shone overhead but not too much. Edward didn't care. The children wandered over there, playing "tick", the adults laughed in a low tone, the other people eat inside the house. It was not what Edward was looking for, that point I think has been cleared up, so seeking his opportunity crossed the fence raising the upper locker and sneaked out. In an instant he was out of sight, the declivity way going down.