Simple

"I can't find Trevor anywhere!" Macy shouted over the deafening noise. "If that jerk is gonna leave me hanging at the beginning of the new year, who knows if I'll keep him around for the rest of it!"

"I'm sure he'll be back," I stated confidently, trying to calm her down. "He paid for this trip, anyway."

"Be a real shame for him to fly to New York on New Years Eve just to miss out on the New Years kiss," she said, not sounding very upset about it.

"Least you have someone to kiss," I muttered quietly enough for her not to hear. Moments later Trevor appeared, and I was again forgotten while Macy held him tight and everyone around us began counting down from thirty.

I look around, seeing all these happy couples, prepared to lock lips as their first act of the new year. Only one person in the vicinity seemed to be utterly alone, but perhaps that just because he was the only one I could see standing alone in my small field of vision.

Suddenly, it was as if my feet were not my own, because I found myself going right toward him. He seemed to just take in everything around him, except of course for me because he was facing the other way.

As the massive crowd shouted out the last few numbers, I found myself standing directly behind him. From the look of him, he seemed about my age.

I can't explain what happened next in any way that would sound sane or normal, but as everyone screamed out "one", I grabbed this completely random strangers shoulder and turned him around, and pulled him toward me without even looking at his face. As the people without partners cheered, greeting the new year with jubilance, I met the lips of this completely random stranger with my own.

It was an ordinary, uneventful kiss, but something about it felt so... magical (oh wow, that sounds cheesy). We slowly pulled away well after the other couples had already untangled themselves.

It was only when I pulled away that I realized who I this completely random stranger whom I kissed on New Years Eve really was.

"Oh my God," I whispered, completely shell shocked. He began to spoke, but I just backed away, totally at a loss for words. I could hear him call out for me, but I just tried to move swiftly through the crowd back to Macy and Trevor.

"Hey, where'd you go?" Macy asked when I reached them.

I didn't tell her I had kissed a completely random stranger, let alone that the completely random stranger was none other then Liam Payne.