Chapter 1: The Wizard

Adrian Soulwalker strode across the open field that he almost sarcastically called the Plain of Enchantment. It was constantly changing; he found a new Portal practically every other day. The Mist was so thick today; even his Clear Vision Spell couldn't penetrate it. He hoped the Forest would be relatively similar to the way it was yesterday, but he doubted it.

The Mist suddenly broke as soon as he reached the trees, leaving a thick white wall behind him. The wood was infested with will-o'-the-wisps, which cast their eerie light on the forest floor.

To his surprise, it didn't take him very long to find the old tower ruin, made of silent stone, standing silhouetted in the half-light of the sky. The trees behind it lacked will-o'-the-wisps. Adrian pushed open the old, familiar rotting oaken door. It was very, very dark inside, despite the open roof. A flickering light shone up from a hole in the floor a few feet away from him. It seemed to be coming from some chamber underneath the ruin. Confidently he stepped down a rickety staircase leading down into the hole.

At the bottom of the staircase was a large stone chamber. It was a kind of laboratory. Tables and shelves overflowed with vials, flasks, alembics, bowls, pots, and bottles. A cauldron was bubbling over a fire in a large hearth. Torches further illuminated the room. An old woman was working furiously at the concoctions, until she noticed Adrian standing there. "Ah, Adrian!" she said. "I assume you've come for that endurance potion you requested?"

"Yes," said Adrian. He wandered idly around the room. "You seem to be busy."

"I'm an Alchemist; I'm always busy. You wizards, on the other hand, are always wandering around wasting your time!"

By now he knew that she was teasing him. "You enhance your craft by practicing it to mastery. I enhance my craft by continuing to learn."

"Point made, you witty boy!"

Adrian scowled. "Where's my potion?"

"Be patient for once!" cackled the Alchemist, pouring a clear liquid into a bowl.

"That looks like plain water," said Adrian sharply. "I'm not falling for that trick again!"

"It is water! Give me a minute, will you? Are you in such a hurry?"

"I expected to simply pick up a premade potion."

"You should never expect anything, Adrian."

"I can't ever expect anything in the inconsistency of the Astral world. It would be nice to be able to expect something for once."

The Alchemist added a few drops of green liquid, a white powder, and a spoonful of clear crystals to the potion. She stirred it with a spoon and handed it directly to Adrian. It was a foggy green solution.

Adrian wrinkled his nose. "I drink this?"

"Well, I could charge it under a Lux Beam for an hour, but you seemed urgent."

Adrian groaned and spooned some of the potion into his mouth. "It's... sweet. Oddly sweet."

"Hmm, must have been too much powdered unicorn horn," said the Alchemist, hobbling back over to her cauldron. "Whatever; it won't hurt you."

Adrian sat down at a relatively empty table to drink the rest of his potion while the Alchemist bustled around. "What are you working on?" Adrian asked.

"A spell requested by a client who said he was working for someone called 'The Wanderer'."

Adrian's stomach dropped. Seeing his face, the Alchemist continued. "I know, seems suspicious! But the spell he requested wasn't a harmful or particularly powerful one, so I thought I'd make it and find out more when the client comes back."

"Who was this client?"

"Just a serving boy. Seemed rather devoted to his master. Who do you think this Wanderer person is? I should keep an ear out..."

"I am the Wanderer. Creatures in this Scape that don't know me call me the Wanderer."

"You're the Wanderer? I didn't know you had servants!"

"I don't! Well, except my cat. He can take on a human form, but he doesn't call me 'the Wanderer'."

"So you didn't send this boy?"

"Absolutely not! What did he request? The Endurance Potion?"

"No, an Identity Elixer."

A feeling of dread settled in Adrian's chest."When is he coming back?"

"I don't know! I'll keep you informed," she said with concern.

"Okay, thank you."

"Be careful, Adrian."

"I will indeed!"