Chapter Two: Black Coffee.

-

"And drown her past regrets
In coffee and cigarettes
I'm moonin' all the mornin'
Moanin' all the night
And in between it's nicotine
And not much hard to fight
Black coffee"

-

  The burnt leaves were falling one by one the day he met her, the trees shedding their spring and summer coat, the one that seemingly defines their strength and beauty. Their stance determines their darwinism, the smaller trees simple decorations that neither dogs would waste their time to piss on.

  "Harry," his sister breathed beside him in annoyance as he once again zoned out from her long talks of graduate school and potential trophy husbands. "Would you just at least pretend to be listening for the love of God?"

  He gave her a sideways glance and sighed, "David is in medical school but Matt is an amazing kisser."

  "I wish to never hear those words come from you ever again!" Gemma laughs aloud, managing to make him grin widely with hot cheeks and a carved dimple on his right cheek. They continue strolling through Central Park. He much prefers Los Angeles but Gemma decided to move to Manhattan in the spring to continuing studying at NYU for her masters degree. He's been visiting for the past week and is going to spend the Christmas holiday with her to make time from being on tour for the past four years.

  "I don't know why you bother telling me about the guys you meet, you can't pick a bloody shampoo much less a potential husband."

  He earns a scoff and hard shove from his older sibling that causes them to continue their laughter. A leave falls in front of him suddenly, making his heart skip half a beat but he strode along without thinking twice. Something he soon wouldn't do again.

  Hot coffee skims her arm, making her suck in a breath as pain shot threw as her teeth sunk into her bottom lip. She cursed over and over again as she quickly maneuvered through the tables with ease due to the time she spent in this stupid environment. She smiled kindly at the couple, placing their drinks before them. Bulletproof coffee and an unsweetened iced latte. She looks up as she's beckoned by Hailey to clear table 3 when her arm is grabbed by the broad male with the way too sweet coffee.

"S'cuse me ma'am, would you happen to have any organic banana nut bread?"

  She looks directly at him before batting a glance at his, what she surmises, date who was mid rolling her green eyes with a light chuckle. She must've smiled crookedly as he was quick to remove his his hand from her elbow with hot cheeks. He clears his throat and reaches for his coffee cup but doesn't drink out of it. His long, slender fingers retracting to the hot white porcelain glass.

  "I don't know about organic but we do have some banana nut bread coming out of the oven shortly," She offers kindly, crossing her wrists over her black apron politely. He looks up with a small smile, his left hand coming up to scratch under his navy blue beanie that bared his head.

  "Uh, I will have that then," he nods, more to himself than her actually, glancing at Gemma. "Want anything else, Gem?"

  Gemma grins widely with a white straw lifted to her mouth. "Oh, no. Seeing you embarrass yourself, and quite frankly myself as well, is filling enough."