Open Book

The end of summer has a certain feeling to it. You know in your heart something is ending, but yet another thing is beginning. It's rather a beautiful thing. I look up at the baby blue heavens and let the last of the  suns ray's wash over me, as I sit on my old front porch with my best friend I have ever known, Ivy.

Ivy and I have been friends since I can remember, through grade school and high school. She has always been there for me and I appreciate her more than she knows.

"I can't believe it's the end of the summer already Ivy. We are finally done high school and embarking on new adventures in our life. I'm going to miss you so much", I sadly say.

"Hazel, I'm going to miss you too, I mean you are leaving tomorrow for New York to be a writer. Do not get me wrong I am extremely happy for you but you are going to be so far away in a different country! Are you going to miss Canada?"

"More than you will ever know. New York will be so different from St. Johns Newfoundland. The streets will be hustling and bustling, and that city never sleeps", I conclude.

"Oh I wish I had more time with you, it is getting late. I guess I have to say goodbye." I stand to get up and am appalled when Ivy throws her arms around me and holds me tight. This is the final goodbye, I knew it was coming, but it's actually here. Ivy is the prettier one out of us with raven black hair and gold eyes, while I was the smarter one. She helped me with fashion problems and I tutored her whenever she needed help. What am I going to do without her? With me being an only child, she has been like a sister to me. I am stunned out of my thoughts when I feel hot tears roll down my cheeks. Ivy pulls away and it's like seeing myself in a mirror because she's shedding tears too.

"Write to me every day Hazel, please? I'll see you at Christmas?" she shudders.

I reply, "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

I watch Ivy turn and walk away, her midnight hair swaying against her back. As she drives out of my driveway she waves. I can't help but think if this will be our final goodbye.