Chapter 2

For the rest of my shift, I found myself looking at the time waiting for it to end. I just wanted to go home to get my head straight. A nice mile run and hot shower is just what I need.
Eventually the clock hit three, and I caught myself wanting to stop by his room long enough to say bye. I checked my phone before leaving the break room and saw five missed calls from the county prison. It must have been my aunt. Not long after I got into pre-ned school, I went up to the jail and told her the news and gave her my phone number and address in case she ever needed anything. She has kept tabs on me since. She has never failed in the mothering aspect.
I rushed out of the hospital in order to get better service and called her. The phone rang for a few minutes. "This is Officer Dale. What is your name, and who are you trying to contact?" the officer grumbled.
"Alyssa Tyrsey, and I'm trying to contact Betsy Grestyk," I replied. You could hear the officer set the phone down for a minute long enough to get her.
"Alyssa? Is that you?" she questioned. She just wanted to make sure it wasn't anybody calling to harrass her. People from her past have used fake names to do so.
"Yes aunt Betsy. Is everything alright?" I answered.
"I heard rumors of your uncle getting killed in his sleep last night. They won't let me know for sure, but they aren't denying it either. I didn't want you to have to hear it from an officer first either. I don't have any phone time left right now, so I'll talk to you soon. I love you," she ended the call.
I was speechless. I didn't know what to do. I felt emotionally numb. Should I wait for the call from the prison, or should I call and ask about what my aunt had just said? I think I'm just going to ignore it for now and keep my phone close in case I do get a call.
I decided that instead of running my mile, I'm going to eat what unhealthy food I do have.
As I rumbled through the cupboards of my home, all I found was a small bag of chips that don't even look edible. I never was a big fan of junk food.
Looks like I'm going to the store, I thought to myself. As I pulled out of the driveway, a cop car pulls into my driveway. I pulled over to the side of the road, and I hurried to catch the officer walking up the steps to my house.
The officer looked at me with sorrow, and I instantly knew that what my aunt had said was true. He didn't even have to say a word, and tears streamed down my face. "I'm sorry ma'am." was all he could say. He stood there long enough for me to calm down.
"What actually happened?" I questioned trying to slow my breathing. There were a few tears still rolling down my cheeks but not nearly as many as before.
"I guess he had an argument with another inmate, and while we thought it was a five minute argument, the man somehow got into his cell. He stabbed him multiple times with what we think was the end of a metal comb. The man is now in isolation until the courts decide what to do with him. We can give you the court date if you wish to be there," he answered as if he had memorized a speech.
"I'm fine. Will my aunt be aloud to be released long enough to attend his funeral?" I feel that this is more her place to be there than mine.
"We will have an officer escort her for the day, and that is all that can be promised. If she manages to be on her best behaviour, the judge may consider letting her out," he muttered as if he didn't want the other officer to hear. The other officer called from the car, and that was the end of our conversation.
That's it. My uncle is gone before he can ever see my aunt again. She hasn't seen him in eleven years, and now she has to see him in a casket. She's all I have left now. I drive my car back to my driveway. I'm not even worried about eating anymore. Tonight has made me lose my appetite.