untitled

Ahh, summer. The time when the girls can walk around in skimpy clothes and the boys have a valid reason for taking their shirts off. (Not that I'm complaining or anything) 

The heat, the flirting, the flexing, and the fronting was on full force by the time me and Kandi made our way into the heart of it: the city pool. The school year was long over, but everyone still fell into their cliched cliques. The geeks deluded themselves into believing they had a chance with the popular girls, and dared each other to talk to them. The jocks pretended not to check out the pretty girls, and the pretty girls pretended they didn't know the guys were checking them out. (See what I meant by fronting?) And then you had the biggest fakers of all: The people who pretended they belonged there and the people who pretended they wanted to be there. Can you guess which one I am? I'll give you a hint, BOTH. 

"Oh. My. God. Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Kandi stops suddenly and grabs my wrist, speaking in a urgent whisper. Kandi had insisted I wear my pink zebra print bikini, despite my protests that it was a size too small. "The tighter the better, hon." she'd said. "Trust me, you'll thank me when all the boys are lined up tp get your number!" Yeah, I bet she won't be saying that when she has to help me out of the damned thing. She'd also insisted that I wear her four inch wedge heels. "You've got nice legs hon, It's time for ya' to show  'em off!" she'd also said. Now why did I listen to her?

So while I was trying to keep myself from falling flat on my face, and the amount of my skin showing G-rated; I barely had time to glance up to see where I was going, let alone see whatever had Kandi over the edge. (Not that it takes much to send her over the edge. An episode of Pretty Little Liars was enough to send her into a frenzy. The girl was a literal riot.) I didn't pay much attention to what she said, she was prone to exaggeration. When I'd finally regained my balance, I looked up to see practically every girl staring with unmasked hunger at a russet-colored god lounging on a chair in the shadiest corner of the pool area. Even the girl geeks were salivating at the mouth. I'll admit, even my own jaw went slack at the sight of him. I seem to be the only person who can control herself, because the girls were still staring. I clear my throat and resume my complaint of the heels.

"Seriously, I think they used these shoes to torture soldiers in war. They walk one block in these and they start singing like a canary. "Of course this comment is lost on Kandi because of her inability to stop staring like a bleeping idiot.

"Can you be serious for one minute!? We are going over there right now to introduce ourselves." she says, already putting on her boy-hunting voice.

"What? No, I'm tired. Can we just sit for a minute? My feet are killing me." I say as I flop down on one of the lounging chairs. 

"No, we have to get over there now, before the goons get to him first." Looking to my left, I can see that she's right.  Savannah and her group of girls were already giving each other the once-over, making sure they looked runway ready. Kandi pull me by the arm, a little harder than necessary if you asked me, over to the corner where everyone was staring (except the guys, 'cause that would be weird) As we neared russet-guy's chair, the whole place seemed to grow quiet, the sound of the wedges on the cold tile making it more pronounced. I began to feel self- conscious