Chapter 2

Marius's P.O.V.

I chased Eponine through the empty streets as she led me to the house of the girl. I wanted to return her glove but there was more to the story. I had seen her across the square and she smiled at me and made her way toward me. I engaged in conversation with her after she asked about my pin. I told her about Enjolras's plan for revolution and before I could finish she tried to kiss me. I pushed her away and the commotion started. I didn't have the time to tell her I was uninterested. Luckily she dropped her glove so I could give Eponine a reason for visiting the girl with out bringing up the almost kiss. I didn't want Eponine to worry about it but I wanted to end it while I could.

"Hurry up slow poke!" Eponine's glorious voice rang out around the corner. I ran around the side to see my beauty standing in front of a big gate.

"Well, how do I get the glove to her?" I asked, looking the huge gate up and down.

"You can climb it. Her window is the second up. You can throw rocks at it to get her to come down."

"Not only beautiful, but smart. Here," I said handing her my jacket. "This will only take a minute." I gave her a peck and climbed the fence. I watched as she wrapped the jacket around her and sighed at the thought of being with her. I walked up to the house and spotted the window. I picked up a rock at hit the window. As if instantly the girl popped up. What was her name?

"Hello Mad'moiselle. I am not sure if you remember me from the square today. I am sorry what is your name?"

"My Love, you have found my house. That is very sweet of you."

"We need to talk Mad'moiselle. My name is Marius Pontmercy."

"Mine is Cosette. Wait a moment I will come down." Cosette disappeared from the window and I was alone. I looked back to the fence at Eponine looking into one of the shop windows not paying attention to the conversation I was thankful for that.

"Marius. I can't believe you found me." Cosette whispered as she entered the garden.

"Oh yes, well, you had dropped your glove. And I wanted to speak to you about what happened earlier."

"Oh yes. I apologize if I was moving to fast I just thought we both felt something."

"No, Mad'moiselle...."

"Please call me Cosette." She corrected.

"Cosette, I think there was a misunderstanding. I am in love with another girl."

All Cosette could manage to say was "oh." I felt terrible breaking her heart.

"This girl. Who is she?"

"Her name is Eponine. She is beautiful and everything I have ever dreamed about. Not that you aren't beautiful, it is just that she is, she is my everything."

"You think I am beautiful?" She questioned.

Eponine's P.O.V.

I began to wonder why he was taking so long to return a glove so I left the shop window and listened into the conversation between the two.

"You think I am beautiful?" Cosette question.

"Why, yes."

"That is very kind of you."

"Ah, yes well, I must be going then. Her is your glove."

"Wait, Marius! I find you very handsome as well." Everyone of her word cut into me like a knife. Why was he letting this happen. I thought he loved me.

"Thank you Mad'moiselle." He said their bodies were too close.

"No thank you. You are very kind."

"Yes, well..." His words were cut off by a kiss. I can't even being I started to run but I didn't get far because I ran into my father and his gang of scum.

"Who is this hussy?" My father spoke.

"It's your brat, Eponine. Don't you know your own kid? Why is she here?" One of the men asked.

"'Ponine, leave. We don't need you tonight. We have enough with out you." My father said to me. I wiped a tear and began realized Marius was there. I did not want him to be hurt.

"Father, I know this house. There is nothing here. It's just the old man and," I choked back tears when I thought of her, "a girl. They live normal lives."

"Don't interfere! Come ahead boys." Father began to move forward I didn't know what to do.

"I will scream." I said loudly.

"Sh!" Father turned. "Don't you dare. If I hear one little scream out of your mouth you will regret it for a year." Father turned toward the house once more and with out thinking I let out a loud shriek.

"Hide! Everyone, out of here. Too the sewers. My girl, you will rue this night. I will make you scream, you'll scream alright." And with that father disappeared. I fell to the ground and began to cry. What have I just done.

Marius's P.O.V.

A loud scream echoed through the garden and I recognized it right away.

"Eponine!" I yelled back and ran from the garden away from Cosette and her madness. I ran until I found her crying on the cold wet ground.

"'Ponine, I heard your cry. What happened?" I watched as Eponine wiped her tears and stood.

"It was nothing. It's getting late, you should head home." She said as she began to walk away. I went to catch up with her.

"Not before I walk you home first."

"What home?" She asked. Leaving me alone and confused by her coldness.