The art of hiding

Slamming her locker and sliding the lock on, Mia decided instantly that she didn't feel like going to English class on her second day at school.

Yesterdays class was spent being ogled by the other students as she sat in the back row of the classroom; everyone began to stare when she answered a complex question correctly.

With her backpack slung over her left shoulder, she began to look for a suitable place to skip class; walking outside, she noticed bleachers standing tall on the field. Perfect.

She made a beeline for the bleachers praying nobody looked out the window. finally finding  the coverage, she sat on the grass, not noticing the boy sitting on a lawn chair reading a book.

She pulled a book out of her bag, swearing loudly as something in it scrapped her, instantly piercing skin.  

"Would you shut the fuck up?" someone hissed from her right.

She jumped, obviously startled at the cold voice.

That is when she finally noticed him, He had bright red hair, a cruel smirk on his face and an old battered copy of "The Great Gatsby" in his hands.

"Sorry, I, uh, hurt myself" she said quietly, feeling much like a scolded child.

"Did I ask?" he rolled his eyes, she just sat back on the ground, and grabbed her book from her bag, not saying anything else.

"You know, you don't have to be an ass to me," she made a split second decision and decided to try something, "blocking everyone out is never good idea, it only causes self hate, and dysfunctional relationships with actual friends and family," she finished, not looking up from her book.

He actually started to chuckle, "Self hate, dysfunctional relationships, all you're missing is daddy issues and you've about summed me up," he replied, actually grinning at her.

"Oh, and I suppose you're here because you wanted to be a social butterfly your second day at school" he concluded, still grinning.

This caused her to lower her book with a smirk on her face, "I think it's quite obvious I'm attempting to avoid that horrible English class" she said.

"You're in my English class then" he said with a laugh.

"What's your name?" she finally asked.

"Michael, you?"

"Mia" 

And that, was the start of a long  and beautiful friendship.