Chapter 4

The dedication is because they made the gorgeous cover on the side and I just thought it couldn't escape any of my gratitude. 

When I finally stumbled into my chamber at the late hour, I was winding an escaped hair around my finger and humming a little song I couldn't seem to remember the true name of. A few lyrics and then it vanished from me, like sunlight disintergrating into night. My dress was fairly soaked and torn at the bodice where I had endeavoured to seat myself on the bench, though I hadn't noticed until the hall's lights had alerted me to it.

I should have been warned by the fact that the light was creeping under the door before I'd entered that there was a dark tone to the air. After the enjoyable conversation I had shared with Ravenscar, I had lost myself in laughter and a true repartee which I'd been missing for weeks.

"Where have you been?" Sebastian's voice whipped out from the bed. I kicked off my shoes, not caring the brocade might be damaged, just tired of the constant pressure on my feet. "I've been waiting for hours. I would have called out the guards but they were busy with other matters." Had it really been hours?

I had wandered in that maze a little after Ravenscar had left, wanting more of the night, though it had began to rain. The sound of the cicadas and rain hitting the ground and my skin had been the chorus to my walk whilst the moon showed the way and scents of the earth had lingered in the air. It had been glorious to walk out there with everything laid out in place and I hummed my little song, a dittany of my memory.

"Rosalia!" Sebastian grabbed my wrist and forced me to turn to him. I just felt so tired and those good memories of the outside and the peace were fading fast with all that my senses shoved at me in this artificial world of inside. My mind was slightly fevered but I didn't care- I just wanted to revel in it.

"Don't," I said, almost as if the word were reflex.

"I was about ready to call the guards after you to find out where you were and-"

"I just wanted some fresh air!" I cried out in defence. "Damn it." I didn't normally swear of such volume but I found myself wanting to use the words, to shock, to enjoy. Chaos had an opening and I was willing to slip inside. He stared at me for a moment, still holding me by the arm. I tore myself away and walked to my dressing room, ringing the bell for that dratted maid of mine as I did.

Sebastian went on saying something but I just drowned him out, closing my eyes and leaning against the wall in my personal chamber. I really had just wanted a walk. Fresh air. Some peace of mind.

"You requested me?" Charlotte's shy little voice came from behind me. I opened my eyes, took a step back, tried to reconcile the slightly blurry pictures coinciding in front of me. Ah, the maid. The maid that didn't quite match up to dear old Mary- I didn't care how French Charlotte was.

"I did," I replied, speaking over some part of Sebastian's grand speech. "If you would help me undress." She nodded, such a nervous bobbing of her head, her fingers instantly flying to the task.

"Damn it Rosalia," Sebastian swore, getting up from the bed with an angry energy. He marched towards me, his mouth open to deliver some other reprimand. As Charlotte undid the casing of my dress, I pushed the door shut.

Sebastian's hand flew out and stopped it from completely closing, his foot darting out to wedge itself in the door. "What is wrong with you this evening?" he demanded angrily.

Charlotte stopped, ready to slip off my dress- but obviously terrified at the idea that she would compromise my virtue if my dear husband espied me in my undergarments.

"He's seen it all before," I told her, my voice like acid. She blushed, pale cheeks of her riddled with red. I shrugged myself out of the dress, waiting as Charlotte unlaced my corset. Sebastian looked away, his hands clencing into fists by his side. I finally got the door shut as he moved, quickly enveloping my chilled skin into a nightgown.