c h a p t e r s e v e n t e e n

florence and the machine ; ship to wreck

{Dont touch with the sleeping pills, they mess with my head.}

"Otto." Ago whispered.

"What?" Otto hissed back.

"What did you trade?" She asked.

"Nothing. It isn't a big deal." Otto answered. Ago frowned.

"But-"

"I said drop it, Ago."

It was the first words that Otto had said since they left the cottage. Ignis had lead them down the side of the island into a cramped stone cave. Frankly, Ago was confused. How could a tree grow in a cave with no sunlight?

"We are almost there!" Ignis called from where he lead the group in the front. How he moved so quickly for a man his age, Ago would never know.

They ventured deeper into the cave, and Ago was forced behind Otto because the walls got so tight that you couldn't stand beside somebody. Light blossomed up ahead, and as they entered a clearing, the breath left Ago's system.

Surely, they must be in paradise.

The cavern was massive, so large that Ago couldn't see where it ended. Grass cushioned her feet, and large trees with lush green leaves crowded the massive space. Human-sized creatures with green fur, blue antennae and all around purple eyes frolicked beneath the trees, too. Two male looking ones were holding the hands of a young boy, as if they were teaching him to walk. A woman was nursing an infant, while a man and a woman chatted animatedly beside her. A group of teenage creatures were shouting gleefully and rough housing beneath one of the larger trees.

In the center of it all was the largest tree that Ago had ever seen.

It had thick, white bark, and its roots were taller than Ago was. Children played around it, couples picnicking on top of the roots. The tree seemed to sparkle in imaginary sunlight, and silver leaves drooped from its branches.

"Whoa." Holden breathed next to her. Ago nodded in agreement.

"Young children of the Archangels, meet the Tree People." Ignis introduced. "The secret brethren to the Fae people. Hunted for their beauty and unique abilities. I protect them, shield them from harm."

He smiled at the wide array of people. He then looked up, pointing at the white tree. "That is the Tree of Severus. It is the true protector of the Tree People. They make their home in it, get their food from it, trust it with every aspect of their lives. Even in death, Severus is and always will be the Nurturer."

One of the Tree People finally realized that they were there. It was one of the teenagers- a slender little creature with piercings running up the side of its furry ear. He ran towards them, his back hunched and his arm swinging low. His movements reminded Ago of a monkey, in all honesty.

Ignis smiled gently and stroked the boys head. "Hello, Kipinamous." he greeted.

The boy- Kipinamous, as Ignis had called him- turned to the group and smiled.

Hello, foreigners! Welcome to our home! It is an honor to meet the friends of Master Ignis! And please, call me Kip!