Underneath The Same Moon by Courtney Volk

Daye's Future

"Babe! Can you change Daynnie's diaper, and then give Kaye a bath?" Times were busier than ever! I work two jobs I'm the Executive Editor for the magazine "Truth", and the mother of two children. "Okay, let me put Akimbo outside first, he's whining like crazy." We lived in Carmel California. A beautiful place truly, we live right on the water. "Who is that I see?" I said in a playful manner. I stopped working, to go give my daughter Kaye a tickle attack."I'm coming for you," her laugh was so pure, and incident."and I...got you!" Kaye screeched . I threw her on the bed and began to tickle her. "Pee wew you stink!" I think mommy's going to have to give you a bath, huh? Huh?" I continued on to tickled her, and her laugh continued on as well. "Knock, knock. Where's Kaye?" And that's my husband speaking. He also had a playful smirk on his face. I sat on top of Kaye to hide her from him."Hmmm. I'm not sure check in the closet," he checked in the closet"how bout underneath the bed?" I ran out of hiding places in our room"Nope. How bout underneath you?!" Mr.Gwenene guessed. " Ahhh run Kaye!" Poor Kaye didn't make it far. 10 minutes later Kaye was bathed and sound asleep."I'm going to check on Daynnie ."I went to go check on him, his face so perfect I was sure he was the most amazing 5 month old in the world." Yep, he's fast asleep."me and my husband cuddled on the sofa next to each other.

"Remember in highschool-"he started

"Oh yes! That was so long ago. Why do you like to make us feel old?"We both chuckled.

"Oh come on we're only, what 31?"he added.

"Excuse me!" I interrupted "I'm 30! Thank you. Looks like your the old fart after all." We continued to laugh. "Was it the year 2017?"

" Yep. It was, I was quarter back. I remember exactly how we met too." My husband said.

My heart dropped. I instantly started to reminisce back when I was in 8th grade, before I met my husband. I met this guy named Toni, he was my everything. Some people told me it was just "teen love" but I'm not a teenager anymore. I still love him, but now I've moved on. Got married, and had two beautiful children.

"I'm going bed night," I gave him a kiss on the cheek "love you."

"Did I say something?" He asked.

"What? No. I'm just really tired, I worked late and I have a meeting early in the morning."

"Oh okay, night love you too."

I couldn't stop thinking about him, thinking about my first love. I tried, I tried to stop thinking about him, but every time I look at my husband I see the guy I saw in 8th grade. God I hate myself! I shouldn't be feeling this way. My husband is the only man I should be in love with. I hate myself even more, knowing that all I'll ever know is second best.