Don't Forget

I stared at the child's face. I could see it in his innocent blue eyes. Since the day I have met him, I have been dreading the day rapidly approaching; the day he forgets. My name, or rather the name he calls me, is Marshal. I've had many names over my life, from many different kids.

"I'm going to school now, Marshal." "Have fun, blondie." He giggled as he walked out the door. Leaving me alone. Most of my life has been spent alone. So many years go into finding a friend, and they leave me after just a few.

I sigh looking over the colorful pictures holding adventures. So many memories rushed back. Space adventures in the backyard, jumping over lava in the living room, flying across the sky on the swing set. I don't mind the games the children play, honestly it's nice watching them play and have fun. Their innocent minds still not tainted by the truth of everyday life. It brings back memories of when I was a child so many years ago.

I am still a child, but I know the truth of the world. My innocence stripped from me at a young age. I remember the days when everything was happy, fun, exciting. When bad people only existed in fairy tales. They are blurry, and not fully intact, but I remember them. The day I remember the most though, is the one that I learned the truth of the world. The day I learned bad people are everywhere.

It was hard enough to make friends back then, but now, finding someone that might be a friend for more than a month is even harder. Most people can't hear me; even less can see me. I sigh thinking of all the friends I have had, but they all grew up; they all forgot. Alexis, Kyle, Mathew, Jacob, Jennifer, Sara, Max, Austin, Fred, Drake, and soon Laurence. They all forget, but I never will. Maybe one day I will find a friend to grow up with. Maybe one day I will have someone always by my side. Until then, I guess I'll be looking; hoping they don't forget.