XVIII

Southern Californ-i

CJ had since left early in the morning and Mickey said she'd be home by afternoon so I decided to take the opportunity to tell Dad about going up to San Francisco. I highly doubt he'll let me go but I'm determined to go so if he says no, I'm still going. I'm going to be eighteen tomorrow anyways so it shouldn't really matter if he tells me I can or can't go. 

Coming out of my room,  I heard shuffling from his room so I walked over to his end of the hall. I liked upstairs more because of the soft carpet and the fact it didn't squeak like the wooden floors nor was it ice cold like the marble one. I knocked on his door and pushed it open a little to see he motioned for me to wait a minute since he was still on the phone. Nodding my head, I took a seat on the edge of his bed and patiently waited like usual. 

"What can I do for you?" Dad asked with a small laugh as he set him phone in his back pocket. He continued to finish buttoning up the solid black shirt and adjusted the collar. 

"I just wanted to talk to you about something. Before I start, just know it was kind of sprang on me just last night when I was talking to Nicole." He nodded. "So She wants me to go with her to check out some colleges up in the Bay Area tomorrow. In a sense it's also going to be a birthday present to take me up to the mall that she loves so much." 

"Alright and who's all going? Mickey can't stay here by herself." 

"She could come with. CJ, the guy who saved me is going along too because he knows how to get up there." His face went from subtly pleased to displeased in just that split second."Why that face? CJ is a great guy, he's very respectful and he'd keep an eye on us while we were up there." 

"I don't like the idea of him going with you. Sorry Van-"

"But if it were Jordan, I bet you'd be pushing me out the front door to go with him. Alone at that. At least with CJ, I'd also be with Nicole and Mickey." He just looked at me like as if I didn't rest my case in the manor that he wanted. "Come on, Dad. I've never done anything bad with guys, I don't go out drinking or smoking behind your back- If anything I'm such a sheltered person who doesn't even realize what the real world is. I do everything you say and stay away from what you tell me to, just a few nights with some friends as we look at colleges is all I ask. You're not even going to be home for my birthday anyways and I don't wanna spend it stuck in the house with Mickey." 

"You have a few points, I'll give you that. You can go on one current condition." I waited. "I have to meet him before you go." There it is, I knew this was going to happen. 

"Fine by me. I'll ask Nicole to let him know to come over to meet you. What time works best for you?" I asked with underlying excitement in my voice. All CJ has to do is play it off good and then we're in the clear. 

"Right now." What. "I'll be waiting downstairs in the living room." He grabbed his tie off the top of his dresser and walked out of his room. I nearly tripped over my own feet when I ran back down to my room to get my phone off the charger. 

10:12 a.m. -Me: My Dad wants to meet you... like now. 

10:13 a.m. -CJ: K. 

10:13 a.m. -Me: Please wear something nice and try to hide the tattoos. (If you can) 

10:14 a.m. -CJ: K.

10:14 a.m. -Me: CJ, I'm serious! 

10:18 a.m. -CJ: K.

I just stopped because he was in a childish mood by the looks of it. I looked in the mirror to make sure I was decent enough. Running my fingers through my hair and fixing my part, I just sat on my bed texting Mickey to let her know not to come just yet. She is the last person who needs to walk in through that door when CJ and Dad talk.