Apocalypse

I've read stories, about how the world will end. They were interesting, touching, even. But they were all lies. I should know. I lived through it. The end of the world, that is. I was only little, then, but I never forget. The end of the world wasn't sudden, or loud, or beautiful, or bright. The end of the world came slowly, tortuously so, creeping into the collective subconscious like an insidious whisper. It was quiet, like the footsteps of a practised murderer, and it was ugly, woven from deep, sticky lies. And it was dark. It still is dark.

Perhaps you're wondering how this exists, if the end of the world has happened. Good. You should wonder. Be curious. Question everything. Because if you don't, then there will no point in all of this. Our fighting for the truth, for the light will be for nothing. If you don't question, you will never know. Maybe I'm being dramatic, when I say the world has ended, but I don't think so. For me, for the last fighters, the era of understanding has passed. It came as a thick blanket would, smothering our creativity and crushing our hopes. It tainted our dreams with stains that would not scrub clean.

I am talking about the 'Dawn'. The name doesn't suit it. Dawn is the word for the rising of the Sun spreading light on a sleeping world and banishing the shadows. But it's what 'The Collectors' call it, and no-one, not even me, dare argue with the Collectors. Before you go on any further, I should warn you. What you're about to hear will put you in grave danger in ten years time. Dispose of this as soon as you have spread the Word. People need to know what is coming. This is our last chance, our only hope to overthrow the system. Please, help us.

My name is Alutrae, and I am a Special.

And I'm running for my life.