Running to Freedom

Summary

Jeff is told he can help Bruno Bambini with his shady business or watch his family die a slow, painful death. How far will Jeff go to save the ones he loves? So far he's stolen a car and chased by the cops.

Joe is reviewing a report at his desk when the captain walks over to him. "Hey, Joe," he says, putting his hand on the detective's shoulder. Joe nearly jumps out of his seat. Jerry snickers.

"You would think that's funny." Joe sneers. Jerry chuckles again.

"What case has you so jumpy?" The captain questions, glancing towards his desk.

"The Italian mafia sting. According to my research, Bambini has people from all over the world working for him."

"I don't doubt it a bit," he says, as he continues to read over Joe's shoulder. They've been trying to take down Bambini and his crew for well over a year, but they're no closer now than when they first began.

"Do you need something, sir?"

"I just got word that the guy you're tailing had his car stolen in the Wal-mart parking lot a few hours ago."

"Did anyone see it happen?" Joe asks.

"Witnesses claim two white men pulled up in a black coupe and that a man approximately six foot three with sandy blond hair drove it away."

"Did they give any specifics on the second perp?"

"Just that he's a Hispanic male in his early thirties. "

"Their description fits half the men in Berryville." Jerry started on the force ten years ago, he's been a detective for five.

"Maybe the security footage will help?" Joe's been on the force fifteen years the last five as a sergeant.

"It would if there was any." Seeing their inquisitive look the captain continues, "The manager claims their camera was knocked out in the storm."

"I'll run a search on two-door coupes and narrow the list from there."

"Keep me posted, Jerry."

"I will, captain."

Joe starts reading the report again. It's scary to think that one man can have so much power, he thinks as he scans through a list of prestigious men.

"Hey Joe," Rachel says.

He jumps again. "I wish you guys wouldn't sneak up on me."

His partner snickers. Noticing Joe shooting daggers at him, Jerry glances towards his desk as he tries to stifle a grin.

"That case really has you spooked."

"I think Bambini has everyone who's anyone under his thumb." He taps the computer screen. "It's probably the reason why we can't make any charges stick."

"We'll take him down eventually, Joe."

"I hope so." He runs his fingers through his thinning hair. "So how's your friend?"

"Turns out her husband came home and forgot to reset the alarm. And the picture Julie found is a present from their neighbor. He claims he wanted to capture their special day."

"I wouldn't like my neighbors taking a picture of me in my yard."

"You don't have to worry about that, boss." Jerry grins.

"And why is that?"

"Your neighbors wouldn't want to risk breaking their camera to take a picture of your ugly mug."