Chapter 1-

"Hi class we have a new Student

"Hi class we have a new Student." Miss Santos (Rita) says. "I hope you will all make her very welcome."

"Um, hi everyone my name is Meg" I shyly say, staring at all the friendly faces as Rita walks out of the room. A few faces in the room stood out to me. I smiled at the few familiar faces, as I took my seat in between them. 

I turned around in my seat to see one of them say "Hi my name is..."  "Zac" I finished "I have seen you around and heard people saying your name"

"This is my girlfriend Evie, her best friend Carly, my best friend Cam and David, owner of the Ocean Café" Zac said motioning to each person in turn.

"Hi everyone" I say staring at the group

A few hours later at lunch

"Do you want to hang with Evie, Cam and I?" Zac says coming up to me "Sure." I say as I follow Zac

"What's been going on with you and Mako, Zac?" I hear Evie worryingly whisper to Zac and Cam. I walk a little faster to keep up with them. "Did someone just say Mako?" I ask

"Yeah nobody goes there." Cam says as we stroll to sit on the grass by the fountain.   

"I visit there all the time." I say as we slump by the fountain... Not our brightest idea.
Drip.
Drop.

Next thing we knew, the fountain soared up,  threatening to spill. As terror surged through my veins cold,  I knew- this was the moment that my new friends would discover that I'm a freak. Worthless.
We bolted into the grimy toilets,  the moment so terrifying that I forgot to consider why they were coming too!

Through a fizzing shimmer,  my tail flopped onto the floor as citrus scales clung to me all over. My eyes slid up, expecting to see horrifying faces feasting on the sight.  But... It wasn't like that. I saw Evie's wide hazel eyes gradually soften as she noticed my tail too.  No words were needed to explain: we would both keep each other's secret.

Breaking the silence,  Zac flipped his hair,  holding the smug expression of a dog retrieving a bone. "How about the hand drier?" He suggested as he slipped and his bottom dropped into a wet sink.
What other choice did we have? We huddled under the slow rush of hot air.
"This is... Cosy, " said Evie,  trying to break the awkward silence.

We could hear Cam tapping on the door "You'd better come out quick, people are starting to wonder what is going on."

We rushed back to finish lunch... Like nothing had even happened.  I guess they're used to pretending. 

With the 'fishy faff' at lunch,  I certainly couldn't say that my day had been as I anticipated.  In fact,  getting home and diving into my clothes laces book corner was a relief that fizzled through me deliciously. However,  when I now looked at the gangly awkward girl staring from the mirror,  I knew- she was finally part of something,  no longer on the outside!

Hey- I survived one day at a new school... How hard could tomorrow be?

With each wave,  child,  you'll be pulled further...

My steely eyes snapped open.