Windows 95 & 98

Now it was the year 1995 and Windows 95 was released. This OS brought internet support; you could use a dial up connection and an easier installation. It was also 32 bit which made it have an improved multimedia features and built in networking and portable computing. Windows 95 got updates till 1998, it was also the first to introduce the famous start menu, and taskbar and page functions (maximise, minimise and quit buttons). Windows 95 was the first OS that was written without the use of MS-DOS.

On June 25, 1998 Windows 98 was released and this was the first version of Windows designed specifically for consumers. PCs are common at work and home, and Internet cafes where you can get online are popping up. Windows 98 is described as an operating system that "Works Better, Plays Better."

With Windows 98, you can find information more easily on your PC as well as the Internet. Other improvements include the ability to open and close programs more quickly, and support for reading DVD discs and universal serial bus (USB) devices. Another first appearance is the Quick Launch bar, which lets you run programs without having to browse the Start menu or look for them on the desktop.