Fighting fire

FIGHTING FIRE

September 3rd-Present day

Even though this had been a very traumatic and shocking event for his family, his wife had managed to keep them close and move on, as much as one could, with the help of the community, and the strong support of her relatives. She made sure that her children were raised respectably and that they would remember their heroic father.

****

Liz, the eldest daughter, woke up panting and sweating; she quickly wrote in her notepad lying next to her bed.

She would have to get back to it later... She had more important things to do on this day!

This memorable day would have a somewhat a change of meaning; it was the start of something new.

Maybe she could finally turn the page? Liz certainly hoped so.

She quickly got dressed, took her luggage and went to the kitchen.

The Fuocco family home always kept its look of coziness and safety, no matter what had happened only a few miles away.

Her mother was making chocolate chip pancakes for this special day; Liz was moving to College!

Her twelve year old brother Kyle was seated and was drinking a big glass of orange juice, waiting patiently for the delicious breakfast being cooked.

Liz dropped her suitcase and bags near the door. She then poured herself a glass of juice and sat next to her brother.

Angela: Kyle & Liz' mother, served them the pancakes and brought maple syrup to the wooden table.

Kyle quickly grabbed it and poured a pretty large amount of the sweet liquid onto his plate.

They ate together savoring their breakfast and perhaps committing to memory this moment; since it would take a little while, before they would eat at the same table together again.

Almost immediately after finishing eating, they had to leave, so that Liz could have enough time to settle into her new 'home'.

Kyle helped her out with her luggage as did her mother; she insisted that Liz brought lasagna (probably to know that her daughter would eat a decent meal in college at least once!).

After packing everything in the car, they drove off without stopping until they reached their destination.

An hour and a half later, they were standing in Sintra Pena College's parking lot.

Liz glanced over at her mother. She was getting emotional, as she grabbed a suitcase from their old Toyota.

"I can't believe it, you're going to College! It feels like just yesterday, I was dropping you off to your first day of high school!" she smiled with nostalgia.