Squirrel for an Hour

In a cottage near the Ganga River lived a boy named Dev. Everyday he used to go to the lush, green forest to play. He usually took his snacks and ate them there. He would feed the remaining crumbs of his biscuits to the squirrels sitting on the branches of the trees.

Out of them the boy liked one of the squirrels whom he had named Munnu.

One fine day Dev set off as usual to picnic in the forest. After he finished his snacks he threw some crumbs for the squirrels and called Munnu hoping that Munnu would understand him and come out of his house.

Munnu came. Dev exclaimed " Munnu, You look so cute today.

The squirrel in reply said "Squeak, Squeak, Squeak . But Dev heard it as Thanks for the Compliment. He thought...... Thanks for the compliment? Is Munnu really talking to me?

Suddenly he realized that he could understand the squirrel's language. Then the squirrel asked him "Do you want to come to my house?"

" Me ?" replied Dev. "But how can I? I'm so big. How will I fit into your tiny hole in the bark of the tree?" "That is no problem. Old thatha (grandfather) Anil virumbhi (squirrel lover in Tamil) can. He knows magic. Maybe he can help us.

Munnu takes Dev to a queer little cottage near a stream in the forest.

"Anil thatha," he calls out.

Dev loved the look of Anil thatha. He had a calm and friendly smile. He was just like his own grandfather. Then Munnu said

" Thatha, Dev wants to see my home. Didn't I tell you about the sweet boy who feeds us everyday? Please make him a squirrel like me."

So Anil thatha said," I will do anything for anyone who is so kind and loves squirrels just like me." So he touched Dev's head and chanted some words. Dev could feel himself shrinking and turning into a cute and cuddly squirrel.

Anil thatha stroked his fur and told him that he would become a human in an hour's time. He also advised Dev to be a good boy and follow Munnu's instructions.

Then Dev bid farewell and scampered up the tree with Munnu." Wow, What lush, green leaves and that too on a larger view. It is good to be a squirrel. You can see the natural world After some time Dev reaches Munnu's house in the bark of the tree. Its door which was cut by Munnu's great great .............grandfather was decorated with peanut shells all over the top.

"So a lot of your ancestors have lived in this house right?" Dev says.

"Yes, it is the oldest home in the squirrel tribe."

"Where are your parents?" Dev asks curiously.

"Oh! They've gone on a holiday. I am here with my sister Chunni" and he points to a cuddled squirrel sleeping on a pile of hay.

"Do you know the lifespan of us?

Our maximum lifespan is 6 years. And we mostly eat nuts and fruits."

Then Munnu took Dev to a room piled up with nuts. Since Dev was a squirrel, it looked like a mountain to him. Munnu gave Dev some nuts to eat.

"Delicious. The best nuts I've ever eaten. .Munnu can we eat mangoes?" said Dev.

"Seems to be a lucky day. This is a mango tree. Come, let's go munch on a mango. So Munnu and Dev ran out of the hole and climbed the highest branch and reached for a mango. Munnu taught Dev how to eat it, and guess how much fun he had. He swung on the mango and munched on it.

After their stomachs were full they plucked one for Chunni and carried it home. After they reached the hole Munnu woke Chunni and introduced Dev to her. She was so happy as she could have a friend for some time. Then Munnu said "Dev, My grandfather told me that we got stripes on our back because our ancestor helped Lord Rama build the Rama Sethu bridge to Sri Lanka. Lord Rama stroked my ancestor's fur and his fingers left a white mark on his skin. From that day, squirrels were born with stripes on their body. "

The three decided to play hide-n-seek.

Munnu did not know what it was but when Dev told him the game he said "Sounds Exciting!" So Munnu was the denner. He had to find Chunni and Dev. Dev did not know the trees so Chunni and Dev hid together in Mr. Owl's home after asking permission.

When Munnu came to ask Mr. Owl whether they were hiding in his home, he shook his head. When Munnu had left, he winked at the children and joined the fun. When Munnu went to his own house to look for them, Chunni and Dev scampered up and put Dabba. The game ended. It was also time for Dev to gain his original form. He kissed Mr. Owl, hugged Chunni and Munnu and jumped down from the tree. As he landed on the floor he changed into his original form. He looked up to see Mr. Owl, Chunni and Munnu watching him. He bid farewell to his squirrel friends and went to see if Anil thatha was at home. He thanked Anil thatha for making his day a Special one. They all kept watching Dev's receding figure as he approached his home.

Harshini

Summer of 6th end

..........................................................................................

This story got published in one of the editions of the English version of the magazine Gokulam in the summer of 6th end.