Writing The Melody

Here's where you can set your piece aside from others. The melody is the most important part of your composition. This is the part that people will remember, or what you want them to remember. It's our goal to have people humming this to themselves.

Being observant is crucial to being a good composer. Your melody says a lot about you and your powers of observation. What is it that you like about your favourite music?
Why do you always sing the same songs?
Is there a common element in all of these songs?

There will be, you have to find it. Most likely it's going to be something to do with the melody.

People like to hum and sing along to melodies, we could guess why that is, probably something to do with a primal part of us. Call and response, babies mimicking their mothers, cavemen sat around copying one another. It's language. It's in our genes.
So with this in mind, human vocal abilities (and limits) should be taken into consideration, even if you don't intend to have this melody sung, the more memorable melodies are singable. 

Try to avoid drastic leaps, semitones are easiest to sing, so keeping your melody close together and most of the notes only one note away from the previous gives you a good chance of creating a good, memorable melody.

People say to use your 'inner ear' for making melodies, but we can't rely on that witchcraft bullshit because we have a schedule to keep on YouTube, people are demanding to hear your music so you better not be relying on that elvish magical inner ear or the inspiration fairies. 

General Tips;

Stay in the key of the chord progression. If you don't know much about keys then just use the notes that make up the chords in your chord progression, it's almost certain that all those notes will be in the key signature.

Start and end on the first note of the first chord (root note)

Don't leap around, try to stay in one octave and make the transition from one note to another smooth by primarily moving in semitones.

Start and end on the first note of the first chord (root note)Don't leap around, try to stay in one octave and make the transition from one note to another smooth by primarily moving in semitones

If you're going to do all three levels on the piano then you assign each hand to the levels. The left generally does both the Bass and the Base whilst the right-hand does the melody.