1

"Bellamy looks like an ape." Lexa said decidedly.

Clarke was too shocked by the random statement that she couldn't help the giggle that escaped her lips. "Where did that come from?"

Lexa turned her head to look at the girl on the horse beside her. "You don't agree?" Her tone was humorless but her eyes sparkled in a way that told Clarke she was messing around.
Clarke considered it for a moment then answered. "I've never really thought about it." (That was a lie.)

Lexa grunted and turned forward, abruptly ending the conversation. Clarke studied Lexa's profile; she'd always wondered how someone so young could deal with the responsibility of leading an entire group of people, and be so..calm.

"Are you staring at me?" Lexa asked, still staring ahead.

"No." (Another lie.)

The corner of Lexa's lip twitched upwards.
-

Bellamy stood outside the village gates, looking at all of the people he was about to displace. He remembered learning about a time before the radiation, when one nation forced natives out of their land- a bunch of them ended up dying. Would the same thing happen here? He tried to shake it off but the thought of having more blood on his hands made him feel more disgusted with himself.

"Come on." He motioned to the soldiers next to him to head into the village. Confused and suspicious grounders stared at him as he walked into the clearing swiftly, with the guard following behind him. He cleared his throat before he spoke; "We are here to claim your land. Leave, and no harm will come to you."

The villagers stared and some of them whispered to each other. One man, short and stocky, stepped forward. The guard to his left raised his rifle to his shoulder, but Bellamy pushed it down. "Don't," he growled.

"What makes you think you have a right to our land?" The man asked angrily. "We've been here for years. We've fought for this. And you fell out of the sky and suddenly you think our land is yours?"

Bellamy took a deep breath to control himself from snapping.

"This isn't your land anymore." He said bluntly. "It's ours."

"Like hell it is!" The burly brute roared and stepped forwards menacingly towards Bellamy.

CRACK

The snapping of a gunshot split the air, and the grounder's eyes widened in shock. His mouth formed an 'O' of surprise and he pitched forwards, landing on his grizzled face.

Bellamy whipped around and glared at the lean guard to his left. His rifle was raised to his shoulder, and a thin wisp of smoke curled from the tip.

"What have you done?" Bellamy whispered as a muddy woman wailed and fell to her knees, her eyes transfixed on the man's fallen form.

"I did what needed to be done. Now they have to respect us." The guard sneered back.

Bellamy turned his back to the group of grounders and shoved the man, causing the guard to stumble back.

"He was no threat. You just killed an innocent man." the dark-haired young adult growled.

"No Grounder is innocent." The guard replied darkly.