Chapter 1

I stepped out of the car on to hot summer day. I've been planning this day for weeks. And to be honest, I didn't want it to come. The family stuff? Yeah. I don't do that. But it was the only offer I had. Other then stay home and watch reruns of "Sunny with a chance" on TV all day every day. Days before I left for Virginia, I was baptized. But let's leave it at that.
I stepped out of the car to see my cousin, Crystal, smiling. She told me before they went to my aunt's house, we were going to stop at the thrift store. I nodded an okay and got into the back of some woman's car. In the back seat was a girl with coco colored skin, the same as the other woman's, and a little girl with a jersey shore tan. I sat by the door and waited for us to arrive.
When we finally stopped, I waited out side and decided to call my mom in Louisiana. But for some reason I couldn't bring myself to do it. My eyes started to water and I tried to wipe them away but before I could, I started crying. I don't know why. People passing started to ask me if I was okay. I kept saying, "I don't know why I'm crying!" And soon, Crystal came out. She didn't seem mad or impatient. But instead she looked puzzled.
When we arrived at my aunt Carols house, the two coco colored woman left. When I stepped into aunt Carols house, sad memories came flooding back. The last time I was here, grandma was alive. She had a walker then. I remember her sitting on the couch by the window. It was a saddening thought but I pushed it away. After all, I had nobody to talk to about this stuff yet. "Your cousin's are coming here soon and Madie just pulled up." My aunt said as a silver mustang parked on the curve. I remember being so happy.
That night after dinner, Madie took me to get a haircut and I remember the shopping center perfectly. After my haircut we went home....well to her home. Crystal and the tan girl, who is my cousin Joice, went home. But finally. After a long day. It was time to sleep.