Chapter 1

Before the war started I was a normal teenager but ever since I have had to act more like an adult then a teenager.They say that everything happens for a reason but I am really doubting it right now. My name is Kelly Sampson and I was in my first year at high school. The day the war started I attended school. It was only until I got on my bus to go home in the afternoon until I realised that something wasn't right. Earlier that day I went to my classes as usual and at breaks just sat around with my friends. All my teachers had been acting differently the whole day but I naturally assumed it was just them trying to recover from their weekends but now I think about it it was something else. It was the same old bus I ride everyday twice a day to and from high school with nothing differently. There was kids throwing things out the window, kids hitting each other , and the really quiet kids who just sit there. Everybody was acting Ng the same but it still didn't feel right. I had a little voice in my head telling me to get off the bus and run away as fast as I could but the voice was muffled and I just pushed it back into the depths of my mind. Halfway through the bus ride I overheard 2 kids talking about a bombing stack on the other side of the world but it didn't seem right. I put my earphones in and turned my music up really loud to drown out the noise of the bus and the voice of my conscience. Suddenly all the noise stopped and I turned around to see that one of the back windows had smashed. The bus driver pulled the bus over onto the side of the road and everyone jumped up to see what was going on. Everyone including the bus driver examined it to be one of the seniors that had been pushed up against the window and smashed it but I thought something was a little bit suspicious. I walked over to the smashed window and when I turned to walk away something caught my eye. The sun was shining through a circle shaped hole in the window on the opposite side to the shattered one. It hit me all at once. The bus had been shot at. Before I could tell anybody another bullet flew through the window and shot dead the bus driver who with an out of breath croaky voice said "the day has come" nobody had any idea what to do but I had already gone over a plan in my head of what I was going to do as soon as I saw the bullet go into the window. I started to run as fast as I could down the bus aisle and grabbed my bag along the way. I smashed through the bus door and took off along the highway as fast as I could. Most other kids did the same and were following me. Some kids must not have got the memo though because I heard several screams and then gunshots. Bullets whizzed past my head barely missing me. I didn't dare look back at what catastrophe was behind me. Before I got 40 metres from the bus it erupted in flames and let out a massive pop noise indicating that it had blown up. I was deafened by the sound and couldn't hear anyone around me screaming at the top of their lungs. I turned around d to see what I was running from and a group of say 400 snipers were sprinting down the highway after us. In the sky I saw several helicopters and planes painted with camouflage. I obviously still couldn't hear because I would've heard the loud buzz of the helicopters propeller and the airplanes engine. Even more bullets whizzed past my head and I knew that I wouldn't make it snow their metre running along the highway because there was nothing in the way of the snipers and me. I looked for something to hide behind but there was nothing. To my right there was four more lanes of highway and to my left was a steep drop off into a river. My only chance of survival was to jump. The snipers were no further away then 3 metres now and I was an easy target. I started to run faster and propelled myself over the railing stopping cars from falling into the river. It felt like I was flying it was amazing. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my left shoulder and realised I was shot. I smashed into the river before I could see what damage the bullet had done.