How To: Advertise

Advertising stories on Wattpad is a very tricky business. Everyone wants their stories to be well-known. Whether it's your first story or your twentieth, you want your hard work to be recognized! Just don't be persuaded into doing it in a way that will annoy rather than attract.

Do not ever post your story link in someone else's story comments. Unless they specifically state that it's okay to do that, don't ever think it's a good idea. Whenever you post your own (or even a friend's!) story in a comment, it's seen as disrespectful. Would you like it if the only comments on your story were people promoting their own? Most writers will immediately delete/report the comment! You don't want to get suspended because of that, do you?

Be aware of who your audience is. If you're writng a One Direction fanfiction and you talk to the writer of a werewolf thriller story, they are less likely to give your story a shot than a fellow One Direction fan. Try to talk to the people are interested in the same kind of things that you are.

Don't be annoying about it. "Hey, you wanna read my story? Yeah, psh, of course you do! Here's the link! Please comment in four minutes and twenty-three seconds - that's how long it takes to read it! Thanks, make sure you vote! Vote! Vote! Comment! Yeah! Do it or I'll come to your house and poke you until you do! Bye!" is a horrible idea.

Don't expect everything from the readers! Don't beg them for votes or comments, you can write in the author's note "hey, please let me know what you like about this chapter? who do you like? please vote if you like it!" because asking questions peaks their interest, readers like to feel important.

When asking someone to read your story, offer to read something of theirs or compliment one of their stories! They are more likely to read it if you make them feel important about what they've been working on! I don't mean just a simple "your story is great, now hey, you should read mine.." I mean a detailed description of what you like!

Realize that not everyone has time to read everything they are asked to! I get about 20 requests to read a story a day! It's physically not possible for me to read all of them, while keeping up with my life and writing! Don't expect people to read your story when you ask. Don't be upset when they say they can't.

Be critical when it comes to whom you're asking to, be strategical. For instance, it's good if you ask to new members on the web or people who are looking for stories to read.

Where do you find those?

Well you can go navigating through random profiles and noticing earthy read or how new they are or you can use the Clubs here on wattpad. You can also find editor and cover makers on those clubs. It's a good idea to give them a try. Also, other websites. Facebook, twitter, tumblr.

And, as we have said before, don't have a set goal of being the most read story in the whole of Wattpad. Goals are good, we all have a few, but if your entire goal is to just have a lot of reads, then prepare yourself for disappointment. Good goals to have, are things like inspiring people with your work, having someone think about a certain aspect of life differently, etc. 

Hoping this helped,
-Katie, Moni & Tina.

...Next entry - How To: Become Wattpad Famous