Chapter Twenty

Merry's POV

We kept on with our small conversation for quite a while that is until Gandalf thought of an easy answer to the problem. Being down in a mine and all the air was stuffy definitely since one of the entrances was now locked up. So why not just follow the air? He was of course in a deep conversation with Frodo and I being quite nosy decided to listen in on it.

"It's a pity Bilbo didn't kill him when he had the chance," Frodo shook his head.

"Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?" Gandalf revolted. Frodo frowned.

"Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment...even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before this is over. The pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many," the wizard continued in his argument.

"I wish the ring had never come to me...I wish none of this had happened," Frodo whined. Ahh, the phrase that comes up way too often, I thought to myself.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us," Gandalf replied wisely. "There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it...and that is an encouraging thought...Ah! That it's that way!" Gandalf pointed at the right hand tunnel.

"He remembered!" I laughed sending every one jumping to their feet.

"No, but the air doesn't smell so foul down there. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose!" he replied letting out a hearty laugh. We walked down the tunnel that Gandalf pointed out hoping the end of the mine was close. I stayed close to Pippin hoping if any danger should appear out of this rotten darkness I would be able to keep my younger cousin safe. Pip, of course, stayed close to Sky. Sam did the same. Altogether we look like a large group of dumbos fumbling through the darkness. I stifled a laugh at the thought of it. What fools we were to think that the goblins would leave us alone if we stayed close, yet it also seemed smart to have each other's backs.

Sam's POV

In darkness, time is eliminated, fears are reborn, and hopes are lost, but somehow a little light always seems to remind us that the battle is not over yet. It reminds us we can win, and we will. Even when there's pain and sometimes wounds that cut deep or friends our lost and heart are broken into a pieces, fate always seem to give us a good chapter and most of the time a good ending. As we marched through the dwarves' grave, we felt lost forgotten like we weren't part of the world anymore, yet with a little bit of light we found we were passing under an arch that open up to a giant hall full of large pillars carved completely out of stone. The black stone walls shined with a polished glow I thought only glass could have as the silver light destroyed the looming shadows. We gasped as we marveled at the beautiful artwork of the dwarves.

"Behold! The great realm and Dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf!" Gandalf said with a glimmer of wonder in his eye. I smiled in amazement. Who would have thought something so beautiful could come after all this nastiness. I put my arm on my little sister's shoulder. She smiled at me. This journey had changed her already. This was a real smile, a beautiful smile, a smile that made the city look dull and boring. She was learning that there was a way to escape fear. She learned what everyone must learn at some point in their life...The pass is behind us, don't look back because there is something much better ahead. Oh, what a great truth to learn! Skylar leaned her head on my shoulder. I was so blessed to have a sis like her.